PDA

View Full Version : Betta and GBR?

Lolita
09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
My immediate assumption is that this will be a big no... but I did a little searching and am wondering now if it can be done.

Can a betta be kept with GBR in a 29 gallon heavily-planted tank?

I have read in a few places that it can be done if the betta isn't aggressive. I want to hear your opinions on this matter! Have any of you had success with this?

Taurus
09-27-2012, 07:29 PM
A female betta in with a single GBR could work.

SamandAnne
02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
I tried this with a female betta in a 30-gallon community tank with a pair of rams. I have a lot of plants for hiding and thought a female would be less likely to get in a fight. The one I picked wasn't the one...she constantly had shredded fins...I think the male GBR would win against the betta, but the betta would win against the female ram...as the female ram would always dart away quickly when the betta came around. In the end, I re-homed the betta. I got mine from a plcae that has the bettas in single bowls, so I had no idea how aggressive or not she would be. I have seen female bettas for sale when they have a lot of them all in one tank together to choose from. Maybe if you had a LFS with that setup you could watch and pick out a less aggressive one?

Sandz
02-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Also note that you had breeding rams... Single fish with single fish could work fine in theory. The only way to really tell is by checking and having a plan b.