PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh! I think more are comming

Hailey
09-23-2007, 06:09 AM
Well i knew it was going to happen eventually, but i'm not really ready for it. It looks like the convicts are starting to dig and "nest" again, this time at the other end of the tank.

So i have a question, what do I do with the 4-5 week old fry that are already in there? Will the parents eat them and kill them all when the new babies come along or what? Will they be fine? would the fry eat the newborns??? I have no idea. Please give me some advice!!!

Dave66
09-23-2007, 06:18 AM
You need to remove the elder fry, as they will eat the new ones, much to their parents' displeasure.

Dave

Nautilus291
09-23-2007, 06:19 AM
I have yoyo loaches in my tank they seem to handle the beatings from the parents convicts very well( I havent lost a single one) and they pick the fry off when the can. Usually at night or when the parents are dumb enough to move them around the tank. My fry never last over a week. Which is good becuase all fish stores seem to have a ton of them since they mate so much.

Hailey
09-26-2007, 01:02 AM
well what if i keep the older fry in there and they do eat the new batch, will the parents kill and eat the older fry???

CAF
09-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Convict fry... ready made food for any other fish... They are just so prolific!!! The adults may kill the fry that eat their younger siblings. If you want them all to make it (doesn't know why as no LFS in their right mind will buy them) move them to a new tank soonest.

Hailey
09-26-2007, 05:34 AM
And i see eggs. I could tell today that something was up. I always saw the mommy in her clay pot, or around the area. So i grabbed a flashlight and i see hundreds of eggs. Its cool cuz this time I accually can see the eggs. But I don't know whats going to happen. I am going to leave the first batch in there and kinda hopefully they will eat the new batch, but i just hope the first batch woun't get eaten. Anyways just thought I'd post

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2007, 11:52 AM
You might have gone into the convict business without intending to. LOL

If there was a store that would give you credits for the young, that would be nice. If not, you'll have to get rid of the eggs or will have hundreds of little ones.

Hailey
09-30-2007, 08:46 PM
ok, good the fry have eaten all the eggs so hopefully that will keep happening, and the parents didn't really seem to mind.

jaymz
10-03-2007, 04:57 AM
It seems as though you may have a glass box veiwing of a natural life cycle. With all the mating these convits do their real goal is to only replace themselves. So if only 2 of thier offspring of all thier matings survive then they have done thier job. BUT if most of the first generation fry make to a decent size thats when the trouble may start with the fighting over territory and dominance. So, this a time to convice your friends, family, co-workers how cool convicts are to keep and give them some same sex fish.

Good luck

Hailey
10-03-2007, 05:58 AM
It seems as though you may have a glass box veiwing of a natural life cycle. With all the mating these convits do their real goal is to only replace themselves. So if only 2 of thier offspring of all thier matings survive then they have done thier job. BUT if most of the first generation fry make to a decent size thats when the trouble may start with the fighting over territory and dominance. So, this a time to convice your friends, family, co-workers how cool convicts are to keep and give them some same sex fish.

Good luck

lol, yeah i know, thanks!