PDA

View Full Version : New To Angels, Love some advice

morfin
09-23-2007, 04:37 AM
After much research we purchased our first baby angels today, they are in 50 gallon tank with 3 panda's, 3 bristlenose and 7 lemon tetras. they are fantastic, totally in love with Angels. But tell me what is the best thing to feed them, I want to make sure these little guys love living in my tank!

cocoa_pleco
09-23-2007, 04:51 AM
give them a mix of food, like pellets and flakes, and bloodworm once a week.

S13DWS
09-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Stay away from lady Hobbs :P

I have heard she gets rather angry at her angels every so often:P

But deep down we all know she loves them to death:P:P:P

Nautilus291
09-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Ms. Hobbs Just has some crazy angels lol. Probibly as crazy as she is.

TowBoater
09-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Take them back is my suggestion, they are trouble.:hmm3grin2orange: No but I fed mine a mixed variety of frozen food every day and then a little mixed flake and some cichlid pellets, I fed my fish a variety every day and they grew like weeds.

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I think people are ganging up on me here. LOL

Actually, I love my angels too but they do pose more problems than I was prepared for and I was NOT prepared for all the aggression and them taking over every tank I own! I have 9 and wish I had 4. They are cichlids and act like cichlids and very territorial.

My suggestion (to save so much hassle) is as each pair mate up, to just move that pair into a 20-29 gallon tank to give the others a break from the pairs aggression. They start pairing up at about 7 months and when spawning begans, they will spawn every 2 1/2 weeks to 3 weeks.

Angels require at least 10 gallons each and very clean conditions. I do 50% weekly water changes and sometimes even more. Now, if I could just afford 3 more 29 gallon tanks, I'd have it made! grrrrr

S13DWS
09-23-2007, 01:00 PM

Actually, I love my angels too but they do pose more problems than I was prepared for and I was NOT prepared for all the aggression and them taking over every tank I own! I have 9 and wish I had 4. They are cichlids and act like cichlids and very territorial.

My suggestion (to save so much hassle) is as each pair mate up, to just move that pair into a 20-29 gallon tank to give the others a break from the pairs aggression. They start pairing up at about 7 months and when spawning begans, they will spawn every 2 1/2 weeks to 3 weeks.

Angels require at least 10 gallons each and very clean conditions. I do 50% weekly water changes and sometimes even more. Now, if I could just afford 3 more 29 gallon tanks, I'd have it made! grrrrr

Uh oh *ME DUCKS*
lol would we gang up on you! No way!!!!!! We all know you love your angels! :-P
I know!! Are you open to bribery? Errrr maybe a nice slush? lol...

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Honestly, it drives me nuts at times. I just picked up another 55 gallon thinking my Silver Dollars could have it with the tetra's and have some peace. That lasts one day and in goes two more angels! Where are my dwarf cichlids? Where are my severums? Where are all the other fish I want? AT THE STORE because every tank (5) has angels in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Futureboy
09-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Why do you keep buying angels then hobbs?

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't. I started with 9 thinking they were cute.

Futureboy
09-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Ah makes sense

2 are enough for me :rolleyes:

TowBoater
09-23-2007, 06:35 PM
LFS won't take a few?

sarahfaye
09-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Try keeping just a single angel. Mine has never been even a bit aggressive to any of the other fish. I bought her when she was a baby (assumed female, I can't actually tell the diff) and 2 years later she's still sweet as can be. She's also full of personality, loves to come over to me and beg for food. I feed the tank tropical crisps, just a bit, morning and night and occasionally some frozen/freeze dried blood worms, tubifex, or brine shrimp. Nothing but praise for my lone angel!

morfin
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks for this, reading it my husband and i have decided we'll just stick with the two that we have! We'll just love them a little more to make up for not having to get anymore!

S13DWS
09-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Gooood stuff. I have 14 of my type of fish living happily together... angels seem like so much more hard work!!!!!

Good luck with the Angels. you thinking of any other species to go in their too?

Lady Hobbs
09-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for this, reading it my husband and i have decided we'll just stick with the two that we have! We'll just love them a little more to make up for not having to get anymore!

Very wise decision until you get other tanks. They are such a lovely and graceful fish. I just messed up by getting too many right in the beginning and am still trying to find ways to just get more tanks so I can keep them all. They are very hard to part with even if they are stinkers.

morfin
09-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi a school of lemon tetra's and we only have 3 panda's so want to increase that to 6 but we need a school of something else, not sure what so definitely open to suggestions - something with a bit of colour would be nice. We have three neons in there but they are just cycling and I hear we can't have them with the angels? Shame they look fantastic

Dave66
09-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Rosy tetras (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus) complement lemon tetras well. I have 36 of the latter with 18 rosies in a 75 planted.

Dave

mariposa
09-28-2007, 11:58 AM
This thread has been so helpful to me. I got a 42 gal hex from Craigslist for my birthday!!! I was so happy since my 10 is overstocked at the moment. I have a pleco (who is probably my fav), 5 zebra danios, and 5 platys. I know I'm pushing that inch of fish per gallon ratio but I like to get my fish in small groups so they can have buddies. Ok so I want to put all my fish into the 42 and keep the 10 for my ADF (African Dwarf Frogs) minus the fish fighting them for food. Soooo I was thinking when I put in my little fish I will have room for something else and I have been leaning towards Angels. I read another aqaurium article on Angels somewhere online and it actually suggested getting 6 at one time. Ya' know so they can flock together or some sort of nonsense. I'm so darn glad I stopped in here first. Now I know I'll only get 2. :) I think even 2 will make a lovely addition to my fishies. I'm not anticipating a lot of trouble out of them toward the platy or danios. Assuming that the danios are fast enough to avoid them (they lived great with Pedro my betta), and the platys arent really small enough to look like food. Great food suggestions also, Thanks!

CAF
09-28-2007, 12:26 PM

hmm.. When I was breeding them, I was getting spawns every 6 days from 3 pairs on the same day... Most of the tanks I own now came from that interesting expierence.... but hey! I gots lots of store credit...

Lady Hobbs
09-28-2007, 12:55 PM
mariposa....The point of getting 6 at once is not because they will all love one another and get along but it is for the purpose of breeding. You buy 6 knowing that at least one pair will come of it, separate the pairs and hope for breeding to began.

Some of the sites list getting 6 to start with like they list skoaling fish that like at least 6 of their own kind. Angels are not pack fish. They are very territoral and allow only what they want to in their area......a mate. They aren't very good at sharing space or girlfriends. LOL

mariposa
09-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks Lady H, I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I would have been WAY over my head had I went ahead without asking the pros...(aka aquarium forum friends ^_^) I still may only get one. I havent decided. I am however glad I read this thread!

CAF
09-28-2007, 10:43 PM
just remember angels are no angels and you'll do fine!

smaug
10-12-2007, 06:40 PM
angels are the first fish I wanted when I got my bigger tank.I started out with 3,all from the same tank at lfs all about the size of a quarter.About a month later,I bought 1 slightly bigger angel, within a week the original 3 killed him,that was my fault for not intervening.Later 1 of the originals was a runt so at the age of about 8 months the 2 ganged up on him and I found him dead lodged under my driftwood[trying to hide I guess].Then there were 2,about 2months went by then the one went phsyco on the other 1 day of this and he was trying to get under the driftwood too,I gave physco to petco and kept my last remaining angel,and now he is making my bala shark miserable.I love angels,arent they just so sweet!