PDA

View Full Version : Different Plecos

Dtitus1
09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Eventually I'm going to be setting up another aquarium (probably an empty 29 I have laying around) with an Aquaclear 70 and 10 gallon custom sump setup I got from a friend, and I was wondering what kind of plecos would be good in a setup like that. It will be heavily planted and have a good amount of Malaysian Driftwood.

I know Clowns, Bristlenose, Rubberlips, and maybe Candystripes would according to my own understanding work, and I'm leaning toward a Candystripe if I could ever find one, but I hear that a lot of these can be aggressive. Anyone's personal experiences or recommendations are appreciated.

ScottishFish
09-25-2012, 05:31 AM
I have several Clowns, very peaceful pleco, I also used to have an L262, once again ideal community fish :22:

Trillianne
09-25-2012, 06:37 AM
The rubbernose/ rubberlip I wouldn't really call aggressive. They are the boss of their personal space, but not really a bully. (meaning they will chase off someone eating "their peas" but not pursue to the ends of the earth) HOWEVER that is with one, and my understanding is that two together can be a bit more of an issue.

gadget228
09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
I agree, I have one rubbernose along with two adult bristlenose and about 50 of their fry in my 75 gallon and he is the king of his rocks and will chase the adult BN away but he never bothers the fry.

Dtitus1
09-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Thats good to know my main concern would be them being mean towards corys over feeding rights.

homemadepopcorn
09-26-2012, 04:26 AM
I don't think you'll have issues with the corys. I don't with my royal which on average is more territorial than other plecos.

Trillianne
09-26-2012, 03:24 PM
I still think you would do fine. I have a gold nugget and kuhli loaches in with mine and they all eat well. He might claim a piece of food (wafers/ couple inches of pea space) but not all the food in the tank. So you can easily drop something for him in one spot and something for your others in another spot.

Dtitus1
09-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Cool I appreciate all your inputs alot. I got one more question though, anyone have problems with clowns or bristlenose uprooting plants?

Goes to 11!
09-26-2012, 05:15 PM
It's a non-issue with BNplecs but I can't speak for clowns.
:22:

Lolita
09-26-2012, 08:13 PM
My BN demolished all of my anubias... I have no idea why but he left all the other ones alone lol.

I was so mad at him.

Starrman
09-28-2012, 01:08 AM
I have several Clowns, very peaceful pleco, I also used to have an L262, once again ideal community fish :22:

My clown won't clean the glass, does yours? Does a great job cleaning rocks, plants, etc.