PDA

View Full Version : Java Fern

kurly
09-23-2012, 08:22 PM
My Java Fern is very healthy and continues to grow nicely which is great. It's a nice full size but it's mainly full because the leaves are floating out if that makes any sense. I want to bunch it together in some kind of way to reduce how wide it is. My question is what can I use to tie it together to reduce the width and is also safe to use in the aquarium?

Not looking to thin it out because I don't have anywhere to move the extra ferns to in this tank or anywhere in my other two tanks.

seb's fish
09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
You could maybe use some string or something else you could find at home.

homemadepopcorn
09-23-2012, 08:31 PM
I use black sewing string... Its strong, doesnt degrade quickly and its hardly noticable. Plus, at $1 for a lifetime supply, its economical.

Azurescriber
09-23-2012, 10:31 PM
A thought....you don't HAVE to put the plants you thin out into a tank. If they are going to keep multiplying, the trash may be an option. :)

kurly
09-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys...

Azurescriber, I know that's a option but I just can't bear to throw away any part of my perfectly green and healthy java fern :)
Plus it's not so much that it's multiplying. I think all of it isn't attached securely on the rock so some of it is loose and being lifted up due to the water movement in the tank so I need to bind it together in some way. I have some Black sewing thread here at the house so that's what I'll use.

kurly
09-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys...

Azurescriber, I know that's a option but I just can't bear to throw away any part of my perfectly green and healthy java fern :)
Plus it's not so much that it's multiplying. I think all of it isn't attached securely on the rock so some of it is loose and being lifted up due to the water movement in the tank so I need to bind it together in some way. I have some Black sewing thread here at the house so that's what I'll use.

mrramsey
10-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey Kurly~ Where in Ohio are you? I am going to be adding some Java fern into my tank as soon as I get it switched over.... I could take some off of your hands lol.

Strider199
11-01-2012, 12:31 AM
I use 4lb. fish line. It's thin, strong, clear and holds up for years under water.