PDA

View Full Version : Marimo balls and Flame Moss?

a_marines_wife03
09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
I got my daughter her first betta the other day and I would like to add some easy to care for plants in her tank that wont take over. and wont cost me a bunch we don't have a lot to spend on our project. I have read that Marimo Balls and Flame moss are both easy to care for and don't require much maintenance good for a 5 year old home school project. she really likes the Marimo Balls and our local pet store (only one that's with in 2 hours of us) happens to have a few. I like Flame moss I would like to use it as a carpet in her tank or may be on a small cave. Its not a huge tank and I would love to get a little starter of it. our local pet store does not carry it. any suggestions.

Julie

homemadepopcorn
09-23-2012, 08:19 PM
The marimo moss balls are very easy to take care of. They only require low light levels so kit lighting should be sufficient. Flame moss is a rarer moss than is typical however it is also easy to care for... Making it carpet however might be harder as the light needs to penetrate down to the bottom of the tank. You may want to try java moss which will spread very well even in low light.

You will not need fertilizers for these plants as the fish waste is enough.

Your biggest challenge will be the carpet as I mentioned.

a_marines_wife03
09-23-2012, 08:35 PM
The marimo moss balls are very easy to take care of. They only require low light levels so kit lighting should be sufficient. Flame moss is a rarer moss than is typical however it is also easy to care for... Making it carpet however might be harder as the light needs to penetrate down to the bottom of the tank. You may want to try java moss which will spread very well even in low light.

You will not need fertilizers for these plants as the fish waste is enough.

Your biggest challenge will be the carpet as I mentioned.

thanks for the information If I can find some I might just put it on a little cave or something for him to hide in.

homemadepopcorn
09-23-2012, 08:37 PM
You're very welcome. That cave idea sounds nice. I think java moss will do well since it spreads out laterally and will give the cave some very nice coverage.