PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow identification please?

drmommacat
09-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Hi all -

I have three of these fish, which were labelled as Australian rainbows at the LFS. I was doing some rainbow research and began doubting this - are they truly Australians, or are they Western rainbows, or is that the same? Hope the pics are ok.

Thanks!

seb's fish
09-23-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm pretty sure they are australian, but I don't know witch type

pjaldave
09-23-2012, 05:39 AM
looks like a kamaka rainbowfish to me.

escamosa
09-23-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's one of the Murray River Rainbows, which are Australian Rainbows.

drmommacat
09-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone - I agree with the Murray River ID, after looking at tons of pics!! Can they be lighter in color on the tail, yellow instead of red? One of mine is much lighter in color - and also gets picked on a bit, her tail is usually nipped up. I am worried that I have another species in there, and I am really trying to limit the number of species of bows that I have. Here are some add'l pics - one pic of the redder bows, and two of the lighter one.

bethyMT
09-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Yes, the colors can be a little different. I have an australian...she is female, which changes the colors a bit, but she is on the yellow/orange side on her fin blotches. There is no red like you see on a lot of Murray river photos.

There is definitely some wiggle room when it comes to colors on australians....even at the LFS I have seen different batches with different colorations...but all in the traditional pattern.

Lady Hobbs
09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Good site for identifying rainbows here.

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Australian Rainbow can be any rainbow that comes from that region.