PDA

View Full Version : Anubias out of water?

Lolita
09-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Hello all!

So I know I'll be putting Anubias into my new tank set up when I get it (next week I think, yaay!) It's my favorite aquarium plant. I have also read that the Anubias plants do just as good out of water... I don't remember who told me this, though--so I don't know if it's actually true.

What I'm thinking about doing is planting some Anubias into the top square (http://s.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/015561105064C.jpg) of the filter unit instead of having some tacky fake plants.

I was thinking of planting it with rocks, or just having rocks alone without the plant.

Would it survive this way?

smaug
09-19-2012, 08:45 PM
I have persoanlly kept coffeefolia anubia emmersed. It does very well if the environment is very damp and humid. The roots and rhizome must stay damp all the time. I kept mine in a vivarium with some roots buried but most exposed. After I tore it down I simply put them in my aquarium. If the plant is grown emersed it will lose its leaves when submersed and vica versa.

Lolita
09-19-2012, 09:00 PM
:) I think I'll try it, then! The plant would be mostly under water, it would just be the leaves and stems sticking out. Thanks!

DKRST
10-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Thought I'd add my $0.02 worth. I have to disagree with the comment about losing the leaves, at least none of mine have lost leaves when going from immersed to emersed (I'm growing some nana, gigantia, and hastifolia emersed that were originally immersed). The plants do well in a VERY humid environment (>80%) and will absolutely grow faster due to the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere vs what is dissolved in the water.

I'm cheating a little by keeping mine in an environmental chamber at work - it's so humid I even have duckweed growing on the potting soil...
Growing them partially emersed is a great way to do it.