PDA

View Full Version : Co2 Solution

zackish
09-22-2007, 02:36 PM
For the past few months my Co2 solution has always been off. I have been making Co2 but at sometime too much and at others not enough.
I have a 1 gallon gatorade jug and I am looking for the magic formula to reach 30 ppm of Co2 in my tank.
Everyone I ask says something different so I am wondering if anyone really knows.
I have been told to use 4 cups of sugar and 3/4-1 tsp of yeast and then I was told to only use 2 cups of sugar. Also, when making the solution, some people said they just put the sugar in and let it all settle down at the bottom without mixing it up in the bottle. Is this correct? I always shake mine up so it mixes all up...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lady Hobbs
09-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I think it's impossible to judge the CO2 without a regular. The type we have is a hit and miss. Bubbles like crazy for a while then barely at all. Certainly not as effective as having a decent system with the same amount of CO2 entering the tank constantly.

I use 2 cups sugar to 1/2 t. yeast in a 2 liter bottle. Fill the bottle half full of HOT water, add the sugar and shake it well. Finish filling with cold water so that it's lukewarm, add the yeast and shake again. Starts bubbling in just minutes. I don't use baking soda because my water is already hard.

Right now it's bubbling better than it ever has but I changed the line to a new piece. The other might have had gunk in it because it wasn't working well at all.

I've been thinking of buying the fizz tabs. I figure those would work better and easier to judge.

zackish
09-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Ya hobbs your mixture is similar to what I have been doing.
Let me tell you mine was bubbling nice when I put 3 tsp of yeast in there but lost 3 fish because of it hahaa.

Mark Lathrop
10-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Adding hot water I hear can kill some of your yeast. Hobbs, this may be why you have inconsistent bubbles. I use lukewarm water straight out of the faucet and this seems to be working for me. I've also noticed that when I moved the bottle from below the tank, to next to it, my bubble count was way more consistent.

cocoa_pleco
10-02-2007, 04:13 AM
yep, too warm water will kill the yeast

Lady Hobbs
10-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Adding hot water I hear can kill some of your yeast. Hobbs, this may be why you have inconsistent bubbles. I use lukewarm water straight out of the faucet and this seems to be working for me. I've also noticed that when I moved the bottle from below the tank, to next to it, my bubble count was way more consistent.

Mark, where ya been? Missed you around here.

Hey, check my post again. You will see that after I add the cold water and the solution is lukewarm, then I add the yeast. I only add the sugar to hot water.

Actually I have two bubblers going in my 20 gallon and probably should cut back to only one. Both are bubbling very well right now. I did try 1 t. of yeast and that made things go really crazy so cut it back down to 1/2 t. with the advice of others.

My bottles are hid behind the tank. I agree they work better that way than being under it.

Don't you be a stranger now!

Mark Lathrop
10-02-2007, 04:31 AM
Mark, where ya been? Missed you around here.

Hey, check my post again. You will see that after I add the cold water and the solution is lukewarm, then I add the yeast. I only add the sugar to hot water.

Actually I have two bubblers going in my 20 gallon and probably should cut back to only one. Both are bubbling very well right now. I did try 1 t. of yeast and that made things go really crazy so cut it back down to 1/2 t. with the advice of others.

Thanks Hobbs, the past month has been pretty busy, I did just re-do my tank the other day though. :)

Sorry to make that mistake, didn't know you added the yeast later.

What are they sizes of your 2 bubblers? Someone I read about online is running a 2L bottle, and just a 1L bottle on their 20g long and says it is the perfect amount of CO2. I'm considering doing this myself.

Lady Hobbs
10-02-2007, 04:36 AM
That was fast! I hardly had time to finish my EDITS that I must do for every single post!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I use 2 liter bottles but want to cut those down as well to something like a 20 ounce coke bottle. About what mixture would I use for that. 1 sugar + 1/4 yeast sound about right?

Mark Lathrop
10-02-2007, 05:07 AM
That was fast! I hardly had time to finish my EDITS that I must do for every single post!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I use 2 liter bottles but want to cut those down as well to something like a 20 ounce coke bottle. About what mixture would I use for that. 1 sugar + 1/4 yeast sound about right?

I keep checking the forum on commercial breaks of Heroes. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, I'm guessing cutting down the measurements according to the liter amounts. So 1L just cut the measurements in half for what you'd use a 2L for. I'm not good at measurements, so I can't remember how many liters or what not 20oz. are, lol.