PDA

View Full Version : Firemouths

TowBoater
09-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I am interested in keeping several of them. How many of these along with one severum can I keep in a 55g. I have 2 75g rated filters so I have 75g worth of filtration in my tank. I do a 25% water change every 3 days. Would it be best to part with the severum? Will my small firemouth be fine with some that are about 2" larger?

nanaglen2001
09-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Ok lets go:hmm3grin2orange:

1 male and 2 females should get along nicely in a 50 gal tank.

Severum and Firemouths dont fit, cause the Severum is Southamerican/Amazon and the Meekis (firemouths) are Centralamerica/Yukatan Mexiko.

The filtration is fine, a weekly waterchange of lets say 50 % would be absolutely ok, thats my waterchanging interval for my Firemouth tank. Every few days is only a stress factor.

Tank decoration, hardy plants with strong big roots (Cryptocoryne) and Javafern is perfect. Then lots of wood and flat round stones.

If you can lay your hands on drifting/swimming plants your 50 gal tank would be a perfect Meeki home.

Water hardness and PH isnt too important for them, they can live in softer water and brick hard water, they dont mind.

Dither fish: Mollies, Swordtails and Cories.

If you got other questions concerning Meekis just shoot:14:

Lady Hobbs
09-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree with those water changes. Do a large water change once a week instead of all those small ones.

TowBoater
09-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Ok. I got my tank done but I kinda went against ya'lls sayin and got another firemouth and a jewl. I now have a green severum, 2 firemouths, and a jewl in the tank. I didn't have time to get on here. I have caves made with rocks and lots of floating plants and some other crap plants that if they get ate then hey, it is a good diet for my fish.

YaYgoldFish
09-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Pictures??

TowBoater
09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Not settled real good yet, waiting on that and I will.

TowBoater
09-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Ok, my firemouth that was already in there is being a bully to the new two. He is about half an inch smaller but just chases them a little, my 6" severum is being as lazy as usual. Man it looks empty with 4 fish in there but I know they will get big and I like big fish.

TowBoater
09-23-2007, 01:04 AM
I don't think it looks as good as before but I need more swimming room for the fish and they like the cave I made ALOT. Will look better when it grows out good, I only got rid of 2 plants also, I got 10$ for that sword plant.:hmm3grin2orange:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/tessamax/DSCF0432.jpg

Nick89
09-23-2007, 03:04 AM
you know i was considering firemouths too, they looks cool when their gills flare up red. Im still in the proccess of figuring out what fish i want. Tank is looking very nice man.

Arkie
09-23-2007, 03:28 AM
that tank looks heaps nice kuhli, great job :thumb:

nanaglen2001
09-23-2007, 07:38 AM
I guess in a few weeks it will be a really nice Meeki-home.
Nice job Kuli

TowBoater
09-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks everyone, I am prepared to separate the fish at any time so it is just a little experiment that I want to see the results of. I am hoping they all just stay semi-aggressive and can live in peace but I figure one fish will probably have to go, there is usually always one aggressive fish.

tropfish
09-23-2007, 12:37 PM
lookin good! I hope it works out. Now wheres the fish so we can drool over them too! firemouths are so beautiful, i love mine

TowBoater
09-23-2007, 06:32 PM
My smaller one is a big bully to the fish! I also just realized they gave me the wrong fish, that ain't a jewl, it is a jack but o well, I wanted a jack and when it gets aggressive, it will go, anyways I got 3$ off of it because they charged me for a jewl.:hmm3grin2orange: Man them little buggers are hard to get a pic of but I will try later.