but the really weird thing is that it will lose its colour as if it wants to
one minute he has colour the next it is gone
and it seems like he is doing it because he wants to
is it a denfense thing? or an anger thing
any ideas would be helpful
i think it looks pretty cool

Dave66
09-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Angels do that when they are in new tanks. Also, when they feel like it when established.

Dave

mitcore
09-22-2007, 09:50 AM
tahnks dave you rock

nanaglen2001
09-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Every fish can do that colorchanging, some more others only darker and somwhat lighter in coloring.

Cichlids communicate with thier coloring.

I can read the mood of my Firemouths just by looking at them.

I would say, if your Angel gets really dark stripes he/she is quite agressive, when the animal looses its stripes its quite very fearful/defensive.

It would be interesting if you could find out when your Angel has which color. The the opponent fish is either very dominant (colorless Angel) or a weakling (dark striped Angel).

TowBoater
09-22-2007, 12:12 PM
So is that why one of my angels is always darker than the other, it is the weaker of the two?

nanaglen2001
09-22-2007, 02:24 PM
It may be the normal coloration, maybe its just a darker Angel, but if you watch your animals closely you eill soon find out, in which situation there is a noticable colorchange.

Cichlids have a stress coloration (mostly they are colorless then), a coloration when they are angry, a coloration when they flirt and care for their offspring and a coloration which shows they are relaxed and last but not least a special coloration when they are sick.. But to find this out, you may have to spend hours in front of your tank.

I did that with my Firemouths, so I really see at once in which mood the fish is in, or if it is even sick.

Its really interesting. Cichlids even can change the eyecolor fitting to their mood:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
09-22-2007, 02:40 PM
In total agreement with Dave and Nanaglen.

Mine get very black strips when angry or excited (feeding time or tank cleaning) or a new fish is added. When they are mellowed out, sleeping or relaxed, they fade some.

Arkie
09-23-2007, 01:36 AM
that sounds really cool to watch. can you tell on white angels though? i have two bubby white ones with no markings :confused: