PDA

View Full Version : Severum tankmates

Special-K
09-22-2007, 04:46 AM
I just visited a local petstore and saw a green severum there that i just couldnt leave. Hes only roughly 3 inches right now in a 20 gal. i plan to move him to my 35 gal, and i was thinking about introducing a pair of firemouths or something with the move in a month or so. would they be okay together in the 35? (it might be a 40... whatever 3ft by 18" by 12" is)

Drumachine09
09-22-2007, 04:48 AM
Thats only a 22 gallon tank, by my calculations. I would say bare minimum would be a 55, without the firemouths. They might even be too aggresive for severums.

Drumachine09
09-22-2007, 04:49 AM
Nevermind, im stupid. I used 2 feet instead of 3 feet. Thats still only about 33.5 gallons, not large enough.

cocoa_pleco
09-22-2007, 04:51 AM
a 33g should be the minimum, as long as you have a good filter and keep up water changes. the minimum for a pair of severums is a 55g so a single one is fine in a 33g

Drumachine09
09-22-2007, 04:55 AM
Severums still get 8-12 inches. I wouldnt advise it, no matter how large your filtration means or how agressive your waterchange schedule is.

TowBoater
09-22-2007, 06:32 AM
I have one in a 55g along with a firemouth and they do fine although the severum is roughly 6" and the firemouth is 3". The firemouth is a boss to all the other tankmates except the severum so everything else goes and more firemouths are coming in along with like a jewl. Severums grow really fast, I got mine when he was 2" and in 3 months he is 6" and as healthy as can be.

Jinkusu
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I have a gold severum in a 40gallon tank with a firemouth. But my severum is a softy and the firemouth is happy so long as he has his cave, he was afraid of her at first as she's bigger but now they quite happily feed together.
My severum was being picked on at the lfs, so i chose her for that reason, she's never even looked at another fish wrong. I hope it continues.
I will also be upgrading her to a 55gallon tank at some stage, though she is not fully grown yet still only 6" or so. She's pictured in my sig...lol

edit: i know this is old but found it over the net, so the more answers the merrier i think.lol

thatcichlidguy
06-20-2009, 01:10 PM
This species of Sev can grow to 10"+ given good conditions. That makes your 35g a bit like solitary confinment and the tank he's in now even worse . Will work as a very temporary grow out tank. I'd suggest a minimum of a 75g, bigger if you can swing it.

I've kept FMs and Sevs together and so long as there is some accomodation made to give the FMs a distinct territory it works out good. As the Sev grows it'll be able to handle the FM.

You're going to have to make a choice here though, invest in a much larger tank to house the Sev properly, or take the Sev back and find a fish that will be happy in your current tanks.

thatcichlidguy
06-20-2009, 01:17 PM
a 33g should be the minimum, as long as you have a good filter and keep up water changes. the minimum for a pair of severums is a 55g so a single one is fine in a 33g
That's just wrong , and irresponsible:cussing:

domjd05
06-21-2009, 01:44 AM
The severum and the firemouth may do ok for a while, but they really should be put in larger tanks, I think a 55 could accompany both of them.. while they are growing out. I would strongly suggest you dont try to permentantly house these 2 together in a 35... Not only is the tank too small that isn't much room for territory for the firemouth.. I would say a 55 is a good size for a grow out, but the severum will get much larger as cichlidguy explained before, and you should definately look into a bigger tank at that point.

Jinkusu
06-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Um...i am going to remind people again that this original post is from 2007...any mistakes that were going to happen have probably happened now. Or if none were made then fab.
:/