PDA

View Full Version : A moss that does well both in and out of water?

Nephalem
09-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Ok guys and gals, I need your help with something.

On my riparium project I have decided that the glass above the water line looks really plain, and it drives me crazy. I was thinking of things I could do to line the top of the tank and take up some of that space on the glass so it didn't look so bare. Since I'm in north-west'ish Oregon the idea I had was to use moss, and at first I was just going to go gather some from outside (as we have plenty of it), clean and sterilize it, and find some way to anchor it. I think plenty of water splashes up to that point to keep it wet and happy, but I'm not positive it would anchor without any wood or something under it. Also it means I cant ever raise the water level back to the top, which I do from time to time to give "Blu" my DG a little extra room.

So, do you guys know of a moss that does as well outside of water as it does submerged in water? It will always stay damp from the spray coming off the HoB water hitting the rocks, and I will spray it with a spray bottle if I need to, but the very top part that anchors to the frame of the tank wont get quite as much.

My wife says that java moss wont die as long as one part of it is submerged and the rest of it stays damp. Is that true? I didn't think it would do well if part of it was above the water line, but she says people line rocks and bogwood for frogs and other critters to climb up and bask in the air on. Since it is one organism it will draw water up to the parts above the water line that need it?

What about Bladderwort or something like it? It is freaking beautiful, but I assume its an underwater only?

Any other good species I should check out?

Thanks in advance.

Cory Catfish
09-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Duckweed would make a cool effect. I'm not sure if that's what your looking for, though.

EDIT: Here's what it sort of looks like abovewater: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/113/304759541_45491af808.jpg
Here's what it looks like on the waterline: http://www.midwestaquacare.com/images/weeds/duckweed-line.jpg

with the roots hanging down.

EDIT: EXTREMELY SORRY FOR FAILED PIC ATTEMPT: Sorry sorry sorry. That was a total mess-up.

Nephalem
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
meh don't think any of us saw it before you fixed it.

Yeah i actually have some duckweed in one of my tanks, and fairy moss in a lot of my tanks. Its kind of the same thing only a little bigger. Thanks for the suggestion tho. I love that stuff. One of my fav floating plants.

Im looking for something to line the glass tho, not float on the surface of the water.

Here is a pic of my riparium:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=96827

A little ways down that post there you see the pic of the tank. Its the first big pic. All the glass from the water line up, see how it just kind of looks messy? With the splashes of water on it. That is what I want to line. So vertical up the glass to the black frame of the tank, not horizontal along the water line like duckweed.

Deanofreshysalty
11-12-2012, 10:23 PM
what I was thinking if you either have glass or acrylic is take light sandpaper Sand inside of the tank glass acrylic whatever you have, hang a piece of wood off the side of the tank with the moss on the piece of wood and start from there. I do have 1 question though I am in the process of trying to figure out if my local Moss is suitable for my tank, I haven't done any research on the name or anything are you familiar with short hair type greeeeen moss ? I really wanto grow because it is very beautiful, and you gave me the idea of growing it just like how you want to and I'm thinking about sanding the edge of my tank and seeing if it will stick, or what you can do is take maybe some sort of thin piece of wood and glue it to the tank, and take a flat head screwdriver in make grooves in that piece of wwood so it has something to grab onto