PDA

View Full Version : Where does my filter hold the good bacteria?

almedin
09-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Hi all I am new to this website and this if my first post :D. Anyways I was told that aquarium filters will start growing/collecting good bacteria but I don't think my filter can do that because it seems a little odd. This is what my filter looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ntw58Vp0zM I got it for a cheap price which is why I am wondering if it capable of holding good bacteria it would be great if I can get a answer thank you.

Crispy
09-05-2012, 11:46 PM
very cheap filter without any actual biomedia, but the sponge will hold your beneficial bacteria colony. be sure to lightly rinse the sponge in old tankwater when cleaning it. some bacteria will live in your substrate and on your rocks/decor. obviously only enough for a small bioload of fish.

almedin
09-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Do you happen to know any decent filter with biomedia for 10-20 gallon tanks?

Goes to 11!
09-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Do you happen to know any decent filter with biomedia for 10-20 gallon tanks?
Yes... Yes I do. thumbs2:

Aqua Clear 30 (http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-power-filters/11442-512916/aquaclear-aquaclear-power-filter.html) is perfect for a 10g, I would prefer an AC50 for a 20g though.
:22:

C-Dub
09-06-2012, 12:23 AM
I like the Aqua Clear HOB's. They are relatively cheap and efficient. 2 is always better than one though so I wouldn't go junking the one you have, maybe just add a cheap HOB.

Lady10Godiva
09-06-2012, 12:28 AM
You might also be able to fit a bag of biomedia in there. I have one of those filters that I just run with the foam insert and a bag of biomedia.

Goes to 11!
09-06-2012, 12:31 AM
You might also be able to fit a bag of biomedia in there. I have one of those filters that I just run with the foam insert and a bag of biomedia.
Absolutely true, Something like this (http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-filter-bio-media/11442-523603/fluval-fluval-underwater-filter-stage-3-biomax.html) would work fine.
:22:

Indian Woods Angels
09-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Put some gravel into the filter bag. It will double the area for beneficial bacteria.

fishmommie
09-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Put some gravel into the filter bag. It will double the area for beneficial bacteria.

so are you saying that if the only media in a filter is foam, that adding a filter bag with aquarium gravel will act the same as say - bio balls? If so - great!

Lady Hobbs
09-08-2012, 11:36 PM
The bacteria will grow on those filter inserts. They're just like inserts for any other hang on the back. Looks about like a Whisper filter.

I would replace the inserts totally with a chunk of foam and biomax but not wanting to make this more complicated for you right now.

fishmommie
09-08-2012, 11:53 PM
The bacteria will grow on those filter inserts. They're just like inserts for any other hang on the back. Looks about like a Whisper filter.

I would replace the inserts totally with a chunk of foam and biomax but not wanting to make this more complicated for you right now.

Thanks lady hobbs. I just lost a sick betta that I'd had in a QT for 2 weeks. So today I cleaned and disinfected the QT, filter, and heater. I tossed all the media as I don't want to take a chance that it might infect any of my other tanks with whatever killed the betta - but I want to get this filter seeded again so I have it available if and when I need it for the QT.

I plan to either place it on my 30 (which is fully cycled) or on my 90 (which is almost fishless cycled). I don't have any filter inserts for it and and I'm in no big rush to get it seeded so I thought I'd experiment and instead of buying more inserts maybe I could just put in a new sponge and some gravel in a bag. Do you think that would work? and did that make any sense?
and finally - didn't mean to hijack this thread but I think we're still basically asking the same kind of question.
thanks

Lady Hobbs
09-09-2012, 12:22 AM
I believe Indian Woods and my post were directed to the author of this thread.......almedin.

If you have a problem, post your own thread with your question?

fishmommie
09-09-2012, 02:22 AM
I believe Indian Woods and my post were directed to the author of this thread.......almedin.

If you have a problem, post your own thread with your question?

sorry. thought we were basically talking about the same thing. I apologize