PDA

View Full Version : New To Rainbows: Neons or Turquoise?

Dyzir13
09-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I have decided to restock my 65 gallon (3ft long) aquarium with a school of rainbows. I have found both turquoise and neon rainbows available in my area. I am most attracted to the turquoise rainbows and would love to have a school of them, but was unsure if my tank is large enough. Do they usually grow to 4-5"? The turquoise are also half the cost of the neons. If I could do turquoise I would love to have a minimum of 4, but preferably 6. Do you think this could work?

If not, I will probably just go with the neons in a group of 6 to start. They are pricey in my area!

Cory Catfish
09-04-2012, 01:05 AM
A shoal of turquoise would be pushing it a little. You could try, and have successful results but your tank is better off with neon ones.

If you're really not into getting the neons and hesitant about turquoise, then forget it and choose different stock. Out of curiosity what is the price in your area for a neon?

Lady Hobbs
09-04-2012, 01:35 AM
I would go with neons simply because I had the turquoise and still have one that hangs with my bosemani. They are furious swimmers, dominate the tank and I feel they need a longer tank for swimming rather than 48".

Dyzir13
09-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Thanks. I thought that was probably the response I would hear. Neons are going for $15 each. I've got a few other places I hope I can find them at though.

Lady Hobbs
09-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Ouch. But I've also seen several rainbows for the same thing. Neons are $4 bucks here.

I ended up giving all mine to my son. The only reason I have some now is that after the adults were gone, out come 3 babies from the plants.

Dyzir13
09-05-2012, 12:14 AM
I just found neons for $7 each. Much more affordable then the other store. I haven't actually been there to check out the quality of them yet, but I'll probably head over there next week. Now I just need to rehome my tiger barbs and possibly my cherry barbs. Although, cherry barbs may look nice with the color of the neons...or Odessa barbs? Hmmm so many choices.

Indian Woods Angels
09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I've seen Turqs reach 6 inches plus in size, I'd go with the Neon as well.

Lady Hobbs
09-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I would not get those neons until those barbs are replaced.