PDA

View Full Version : Will this moss grow under water?

Knightia
09-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I was given a few large orchids. The top of the pots they're in is stuffed with some sort of moss. It was overflowing on one so I've taken some out and put it in a bowl of water on the window ledge. It seems to still be alive after a couple of weeks but isn't very green.

Would it grow in a fish tank? I'm guessing not but thought it worth asking...even if borderline ridiculous!

escamosa
09-02-2012, 12:16 PM
If it's with orchids, it's probably some kind of sphagnum moss or peat moss. You'll find a lot of different kinds in wetlands and boggy areas. Different kinds handle flooding in those areas better than others. I'm not really sure if it would survive being under water all of the time though. It's also very good at lowering the pH of wherever it's growing. It absorbs things like magnesium and calcium, which are two main ingredients which will keep the pH closer to neutral or above. So, I would imagine that it wouldn't be so good in a fish tank, because it could lower your pH too much. :ssmile:

Knightia
09-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I didn't know moss lowers pH. Is that true of all mosses? Perhaps that's why my coral sand tank (which is planted) has a neutral pH (when you'd think it'd be alkaline from the coral)?

homemadepopcorn
09-02-2012, 02:02 PM
If its growing outside of the water then it probably isnt an aquatic plant and will probably die under water. You could always do an experiment though.

Knightia
09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
I think I'll continue it on the window sill for now and see what happens. thumbs2:

homemadepopcorn
09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Good call haha! It isn't a bromeliad is it? Google Spanish moss and see.

Knightia
09-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Don't think so. I'll take a pic or two and put some up in a minute.

homemadepopcorn
09-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Sure thing!

Knightia
09-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Ok, this is the where it's from:
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/starstriders/IMG_3251-1.jpg

This is the bunch I stuck in the bowl of water on the window ledge:
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/starstriders/IMG_3248-1.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/starstriders/IMG_3249-1.jpg

What do you think?

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Sphagnum moss. Escamosa nailed it. It's for potted plants because it holds the water like potters clay. It's growing all over in the trees in tropical areas. Ugly stuff. Falls apart and ends up like shredded wheat. Do not put it in your fish tank or you'll have a mess in your filters and everywhere else.

Knightia
09-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Ok cool. Not for the tank then. Interesting. I might try growing it in the garden then, there are a few damp corners it might flourish in (although I'm in the UK so it might be a bit cold for it if it's a tropical plant).

Thanks for the ID. thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Try it in an empty aquarium with a bunch of rocks in it and only a couple inches of water. Like a small vivarium. You could add some other plants as well. Just not fish.

Knightia
09-02-2012, 04:13 PM
That's an idea actually. I don't have a spare aquarium at the moment but I have one arriving soon that was a giveaway in a magazine subscription (Practical Fishkeeping) so soon I will have a 15 litre. I was going to just keep it as a hospital tank and set it up when I need it...but that's given me an idea. :11: Cheers.

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2012, 04:24 PM
http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-terrarium-enclosure-discussion/4606-new-vivarium-small-gray-treefrog.html

Passing this along as a visual. Maybe you could even have an african frog?

Knightia
09-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Don't think I can realistically keep any more animals. I already have a 120 litre fully stocked, and currently cycling a 30 litre which is destined, eventually, for a colony of shrimp. Given that we are in a rented flat (with no real security with a month's notice period) I don't want to be lumbered with something I couldn't tear down without feeling guilty.

What I really need is a flat that we own! And this is why I play the National Lottery :hmm3grin2orange:

escamosa
09-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Sphagnum moss. Escamosa nailed it. It's for potted plants because it holds the water like potters clay. It's growing all over in the trees in tropical areas. Ugly stuff. Falls apart and ends up like shredded wheat. Do not put it in your fish tank or you'll have a mess in your filters and everywhere else.

Right on, Hobbsy! Messy stuff. :ssmile: