PDA

View Full Version : Bolivian Rams are still not colorful

Plectoman
09-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey Guys,

Ive had my rams (3 females, 1 male) in my 55g for a month now. When they were at the fish store, they were very colorful but for the entire time they have been in my tank that color has not been seen. The water conditions have been stable the entire time (0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 Nitrate). My ph is about 7.4. Temperature is 79 degrees. They eat flakes, dried worms, frozen blood worms, hikari algae and sinking wafers. I do 2 25% water changes a week. I know fish take some time to settle in but its been a month and I am starting to get concerned. They look healthy and have been eating the entire time but their colors just arent showing. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your help!

ScottishFish
09-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Bolivians take the longest to colour up IMO. However there's a few things that could also be hindering them.

Your pH is a bit high for them.

Also what type and colour is your substrate? If its light coloured you will find your rams won't colour up well.

Plectoman
09-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah i was leaning towards possibly the ph but I was hoping they would eventually adjust. Substrate is gravel/blue.

ScottishFish
09-01-2012, 05:35 PM
What other tankmates you got in there?

Plectoman
09-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Head/tail light tetras, phantom tetras, cory cats, pearl gourami, bushynose pleco

ScottishFish
09-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I'd watch out for aggression with the gourami

Plectoman
09-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Ive read from some places, lack of color on them could be from stress but its deff not from the pearls. They may lightly chase them away from the wafers I provide once in awhile but i honestly think my baby bushynose pleco is the most aggressive when defending his wafers.

homemadepopcorn
09-02-2012, 02:50 AM
I'd bet on your pH. Drop it down some and you'll see nice color out of them. I cannot recommend any kind of chemical treatments or buffers to reduce your pH. Either use driftwood or peat moss.

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2012, 03:06 AM
I think trying to decrease the pH should be contingent on the other fish in the tank, as well. If you drop it but only make all other tankmates unhappy, then you have gained nothing.

My driftwood has never changed my pH at all but perhaps the peat pellets as mentioned might... to a degree.

escamosa
09-02-2012, 04:03 AM
I'd watch out for aggression with the gourami

This is what caught my attention too. Could possibly be an issue. If you don't notice an issue between the Gourami and the Rams during the day, there could be some during the night. The angry little Bushy could be keeping the Rams a bit dull too, as he is sharing the same bottom third of the tank as them.

The diet looks great, except I would add some softened and shelled peas (squished before feeding), and some softened zuchini. My Bolivians LOVED zuchini, and I believe that it made their colours really pop.

pH I don't believe is too much of an issue, as I have kept them in water closer to 8.0 at times. I guess one fish can be different to the next sometimes though. I'm not a big fan of those pH up and pH down powders though.

And your water changes are very good for these guys.

These are the things that I would say that would have more of an impact on their colour, apart from possible aggression issues. Bearing in mind, that even slight aggression can upset Rams, especially Bolivians.

1. Your temperature. Bolivians prefer warmer temperatures of around 28C. Gotta convert that now! :hmm3grin2orange: I forget that I'm on the other side of the world at times. Ok, that's 82-83F. Your Bushy won't like the water being too much warmer than 81F, so you could try turning the temp up to 81F.

2. Your tank set up. Not saying that it's wrong, just possibly being wrong. :ssmile: Is there plenty of hiding places and plants? If not, add some more. :ssmile:

homemadepopcorn
09-02-2012, 04:06 AM
I think trying to decrease the pH should be contingent on the other fish in the tank, as well. If you drop it but only make all other tankmates unhappy, then you have gained nothing.

My driftwood has never changed my pH at all but perhaps the peat pellets as mentioned might... to a degree.

Very true, although dropping from 7.4 to 6.4 might not be that big a deal for his other stock (MAYBE) however it'll be a big improvement for the rams.

LH brings up a good point, what's your other stock?

Plectoman
09-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Headtail light tetras.phantom tetras. pearl gourami nd the mean little bushynose pleco

Plectoman
09-02-2012, 05:19 AM
As far as hiding places there are some caves for them but they never use it lol

escamosa
09-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Then try the temperature and some plants, and see if that helps a little! :ssmile:

homemadepopcorn
09-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I think your other fish will do fine in a slightly acidic pH. Try driftwood.

Plectoman
09-02-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm raising temp today if that fails..i might go the Ph route

homemadepopcorn
09-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Plectoman
09-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Update: well the change in temp seems to have helped 2 of them lol. The other 2 have no change. These 2 are now alittle more colorful..I'm starting to see some yellow in them but I think its cause they are forming a pair and are displaying to each other. They keep rubbing against each other with their tails and are swimming together. The male seems to chase off the other 2 rams when they get near. I dont have any experience with Ram breeding so I am not sure. Thoughts?

homemadepopcorn
09-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Sounds like mating behavior to me for sure.

escamosa
09-03-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=1048389#post1048389

Read this link, and it will give you some idea on what to look for. :ssmile: