PDA

View Full Version : Bio wheel

smokeypea
06-08-2006, 12:34 AM
i have had a Bio wheel power filter running for about 8 weeks, today after a water change it was moving very slowly and erratic, i put more water in and no different, so opened the cover and pulled out very slightly the filter cartridge, it seemed to make the wheel move faster, at the bottom of the filter where the water goes inot the tank,. i found some yuckly slimey deposit, i know i cant wash the bio wheel but any thoughts on what to do and why its goin slow? thanks

NorthernBoy
06-08-2006, 02:43 AM
About every couple of months you have to free the joints and bottom of the bio-wheel. On my 50 gal I never have had to but I do on my 20 gallon about every 4 months. You dont need to change the culture wheel though and try not to touch it if you can. The wheel may develop a stutter or roll a few times them stop...roll a few times and stop. This is ok as long as the wheel rolls often enough to keep it moist. Lift the wheel out by the two side brackets and gentle brush the algae or build up off the exterior lip of the housing unit. Be sure you replace the wheel brackets in the housing correctly.

smokeypea
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks for your advice, i did take the wheel out and swished it around in the bucket that had some tank water in it, i was careful not to touch it, i also cleaned the intake tube, and inpeller, it was GROSS, all gunk in there, the filter was revolting too, so i gave that a good swish around too, lol, it seems better now, hope i did right, i dont think it was working as well as it did cos of all that gunk, i hope its going to be ok now, thanks again

NorthernBoy
06-08-2006, 07:40 PM
You can change the filter every 2 to 3 months as well. When water starts to slow going through it you can rinse in tepid water...never hot water. That will kill the beneficial bacteria.

smokeypea
06-08-2006, 07:50 PM
If i change the filter , will that cause a problem in the tnak cos the benefical bacteria has gone? or will it be ok cos i have a bio wheel? sorry to be dim but still learning all about fishkeeping and i keep getting told different things to do, dont want to do anything wrong cos the fish are all healthy and feeding good, a little too good if they had their way, they are greedy little things lol, thanks for your help.

DemonShark
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Nooo its ok if its slow thats the bioculture living things they slow it down and no its ok if u change filter