PDA

View Full Version : Worst. Birthday. EVER.

Cyberra
08-30-2012, 02:24 AM
So, today was my birthday. Turning 27 years old. Slept in till early afternoon, was playing a little Left 4 Dead on my xbox 360, was waiting while mom cooked pork chops for dinner. Everything was going fine.

Then dad gets home. And he decides he wants a lemon pie from Superstore. Instead of going to get it himself, he decides to send me. Off I go, grumbling to myself, and pull out onto the main road.

I only just made it past the next street over.

Just past Floral Heights Drive, the next street over from mine, the road takes a curve to the left. I had just reached the curve and was accelerating up to the speed limit when a blur came out of nowhere, and BAM! Next thing I know I'm on the other side of the road, facing in the complete opposite direction, both driver's side windows and the front passenger window shattered, the airbags both deployed, and the smell of burned metal thick in my sinuses. I'd been hit by a truck that missed the curve and t-boned me in the front end. The left front wheel was bent at a 90-degree angle outward. Driver's door was mangled, and there was blood all over me.

Someone else called an ambulance. I managed to get out my phone and call my parents. Had to wait until Fire Rescue arrived and cut the car door off to get me out. The car was totaled.

Turned out Jerk In Truck had been in a diabetic crisis and had been swerving and weaving for a good four miles. He'd almost hit two or three other people. Why in hell was he even in that truck? Why had anyone let him drive? Why had he not checked his blood sugar?

I was in the car for a good twenty minutes to half an hour before the EMTs and firemen got me out, watching smoke rising from the dash and smelling burnt metal. Spent another three hours in the hospital. I have two stitches in my lower lip, several nasty cuts, and my neck and upper chest were flayed by flying glass. It looks like a rash, a raw, painful rash. I was covered in blood when I got to the hospital, and so covered in broken glass that I was leaving piles and trails of it everywhere. The nurses were commenting on how much glass there was on the stretcher on the backboard, and after I got my bloody clothes off Housekeeping had to be called to get the glass off the bathroom floor. Mom was picking it off my neck and back for a good hour.

This has been one of those birthdays you remember, but for all the wrong reasons.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture455.jpg

And on top of that, I got home from the hospital to find my dragon betta Red Amber dead in his tank. I knew he was sick, but there was nothing I could do to help him.

Lady Hobbs
08-30-2012, 04:21 AM
Oh my goodness. Being your birthday makes this even worse. You dad is probably cursing himself for wanting that pie, too. So sorry you were injured but very happy it was no worse and it sure could have been.

Don't know what happened with the truck driver. Diabetes can sometimes be hard to control and apparently his caught up with him.

Cyberra
08-30-2012, 04:23 AM
It had something to do with low blood sugar, or something. I couldn't hear what the EMTs were saying. His pickup slammed into my front fender and the driver's door... One more foot over and I'd either have multiple broken bones or I'd be dead.

Trillianne
08-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Well that will certainly be one to remember.... :sconfused:

At this rate... just about every birthday after this one must be better than this one!

Cyberra
08-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Well that will certainly be one to remember.... :sconfused:

At this rate... just about every birthday after this one must be better than this one!
As long as I don't end up in hospital again next year

mermaidwannabe
08-30-2012, 05:43 AM
You are VERY lucky to be alive, with injuries as minor as they were. Truck-versus-car collisions usually don't turn out well for the car's occupants.

Any idea how the truck driver fared in the accident?

Don't take anything for granted just yet, though. Sometimes from these mishaps additional consequences can show up later -- you should take it easy for a few days and watch yourself.

And this just goes to show how unpredictable our lives can be . . . anything can happen to us at anytime, anywhere.

Bet you'll cherish all future birthdays that much more.

Hope he had good insurance to cover your medical bills, and hope your insurance company is decent about replacing your car.

Thank God you came through this! Here's hoping you heal fast and well, with no scarring.

-- mermaidwannabe

Cyberra
08-30-2012, 05:53 AM
You are VERY lucky to be alive, with injuries as minor as they were. Truck-versus-car collisions usually don't turn out well for the car's occupants.

Any idea how the truck driver fared in the accident?

Don't take anything for granted just yet, though. Sometimes from these mishaps additional consequences can show up later -- you should take it easy for a few days and watch yourself.

And this just goes to show how unpredictable our lives can be . . . anything can happen to us at anytime, anywhere.

Bet you'll cherish all future birthdays that much more.

Hope he had good insurance to cover your medical bills, and hope your insurance company is decent about replacing your car.

Thank God you came through this! Here's hoping you heal fast and well, with no scarring.

-- mermaidwannabe
The EMTs had to feed him something to bring his blood sugar back up... Would like to slap him for being stupid enough to drive like that, though. His truck, a fairly new Chevy half-ton according to my dad, who actually got a look at it in the ditch, was as totaled as my (mom's) car. The front end was a wreck. The crash was his fault, so his insurance will be covering things. Mom will be handling that, since I am totally clueless where insurance stuff is concerned.

escamosa
08-30-2012, 07:02 AM
OMG, CYBERRA!!!! Thank goodness you're alive! Geez :scry: I wish you a very speedy recovery. That's horrible!

Old Marine
08-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Sorry to hear you had such a Terrible Birthday, Hope you get feeling better soon. Hang in therethumbs2: This is just one of lifes challenges in many that you will encounter in your life time.

Tiari
08-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Great Scott! What a horrible birthday experience to say the least. I am very glad you are alive, and hope your healing process is quick.

pjoo1120
08-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow! Glad you were able to walk away from that. I'm sure if certain circumstances were different, it could have been a whole different story!

I say you need a birthday reset. Pick a day this weekend and claim it!!!!

metal-otaku
08-30-2012, 01:48 PM
His insurance will probably fight it because he had a medical issue that caused it. to try not to have to pay out. so make sure your mom and you are ready to fight back, and take no prisoners.

a lady hit me and they tried to get out of paying because the sun was in her eyes and said it was caused by weather not her. they will try anything to get out of paying.

mermaidwannabe
08-30-2012, 04:10 PM
His insurance will probably fight it because he had a medical issue that caused it. to try not to have to pay out. so make sure your mom and you are ready to fight back, and take no prisoners.

a lady hit me and they tried to get out of paying because the sun was in her eyes and said it was caused by weather not her. they will try anything to get out of paying.

Sun in her eyes? Isn't this why they put hinged visors on the front windshield to help block out sun glare? Did she even bother to pull hers down?

And isn't this why we pay ridiculously high insurance premiums, so they have the money to cover accidents that truly are accidents, such as those resulting from being temporarily blinded?

Just goes to show that some insurance companies are little more than rip-off artists while the ethical ones honor their obligations like they're supposed to without putting innocent victims through a lot of grief.

Hope you won against these vultures ... Some of these outfits have no shame!

And Cy, let's just hope his insurance company is one of the decent ethical ones who do what they've been paid (through their customer's premiums) to do.

If they won't, your mom should file a formal complaint with the consumer protection / regulatory agency that governs the insurance industry in your province. Often, the threat of legal action will straighten out these clowns . . .

Hope it all turns out well for you . . . We are all very thankful you are still with us and not facing a lifetime of disability, as could have happened.

Bless you, Cy ...

-- mermaidwannabe

Cliff
08-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you heal up quickly

You should not have to worry about law suits as Nova Scotia has no fault insurance laws in place

Rue
08-30-2012, 04:22 PM
OMG...I'm so glad you are okay...:hug: And sorry about your fish...

I think surviving a car accident counts as a bonus though...even though the accident part sucks...especially on your birthday.

Next time tell you Dad to get his own pie if he wants one that badly...geez...

Crispy
08-30-2012, 04:28 PM
so sorry to hear the terrible news about you and your betta. get well soon! :11:

metal-otaku
08-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Yes we did make them pay, but i still lost money. i had only had my car for 29 days. and it was totaled.

though i do have some silver lining for cyberra, just think of all the fish tank stuff you can buy with the money for pain and anquish. :3 when i got hit by a off duty fire fighter and it broke my arm they gave me a grand above the bills, because i lost out on my flying lessons cause of it. (arm that controled the flaps, hard to land when you have to remeber to tell the instructor to lower and raise them. so after one go we put it off till i could fly agian.) so think of all you can get your fish tanks with the extra cash. as a late and well deserved b-day gift.

Lady10Godiva
08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
I hope you have a speedy recovery. Take it easy for awhile because you will likely get very sore.

Knightia
08-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Ouch! You were sooooo lucky to escape that with your life...not to mention all your limbs. Things could have been so much worse. :scry:

Wishing you a speedy recovery. And Happy Belated Birthday. :11:

Indian Woods Angels
08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
This is your best birthday ever. You got to live through a crash. You are alive. Accept what a great gift that is.

You really can not fault the guy for having a diabetic episode. When one has an episode such as this reasoning as well function of the body becomes impaired. You tend to fight the feeling or you find yourself in a perilous situation. It's not a lot of fun and it can be very hard to predict. It's not like being drunk, you have no control at times over it happening.

You are very lucky, glad you are OK.

toban
08-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Gosh, that must have been scary! :( Sending well wishes your way and hope your cuts heal up soon. :)

Cyberra
08-31-2012, 02:24 AM
The dried blood is finally coming off my lip, so at least I can't taste it anymore. Bruising is promising to be spectacular once it settles in. Eating is awkward, though, because of the swelling and the stitches. Everything from the rib cage up hurts... Chest hurts from the airbag, shoulders hurt from being slammed back into the seat, both arms hurt from being bounced into things, and head is throbbing. But it could have been worse. If the day had been sunny and warm instead of overcast and nippy, I would have had my arm out the window and the truck would have taken it off.

Got out to see what was left of the Focus today. It ain't a pretty sight.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture4619.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture4623.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture4624.jpg

escamosa
08-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Wow!! Cyberra, you're a very lucky girl. Well terribly unlucky on one hand, but you know what I mean. I'm just glad you got out of that wreck with minor injuries, and more importantly your life. :ssmile: That's nasty.

Rue
08-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Wow! :sconfused: You are SO lucky you're 'only' bruised and battered'.

Er, why did you bring it home? Looks like it should have gone straight to the wrecker's...

Cyberra
08-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Wow! :sconfused: You are SO lucky you're 'only' bruised and battered'.

Er, why did you bring it home? Looks like it should have gone straight to the wrecker's...
I didn't. We went to the wrecker's yard to get our stuff out of it, and he had it in the shed. Took a bit of hunting just to find the guy's yard.

mermaidwannabe
09-01-2012, 01:51 AM
The airbag hurt your chest, but just think how you would have been without it! That was the only obstacle between your body and the steering wheel, which would have had only one place to go, had the airbag not been there.

Two semi drivers where I live were killed when they collided with each other -- no airbags, and the steering wheel in one of the trucks was embedded in the driver's chest, having to literally be cut out!

Yes, you're very, very lucky . . . A heartfelt "thank-you" to the Man upstairs ...

Have you been supplied with pain medication? Makes things a little easier, usually ...

--mermaidwannabe

Cyberra
09-01-2012, 01:56 AM
The airbag hurt your chest, but just think how you would have been without it! That was the only obstacle between your body and the steering wheel, which would have had only one place to go, had the airbag not been there.

Two semi drivers where I live were killed when they collided with each other -- no airbags, and the steering wheel in one of the trucks was embedded in the driver's chest, having to literally be cut out!

Yes, you're very, very lucky . . . A heartfelt "thank-you" to the Man upstairs ...

Have you been supplied with pain medication? Makes things a little easier, usually ...

--mermaidwannabe
There was an obit in the paper about a 16-year-old who was killed in a crash the same day I was hit. Mom keeps pointing out how lucky I am that I'm not an obit right now.

No, they didn't give me any pain meds. One doctor gave me a shot in the lip to numb it while he stitched it up, but that was the extent of it. I have extra-strength Tylenol and Tylenol-3 at home, and that's keeping the pain to a dull throb.

Mom and I both figured that by now I would be black and blue with bruising, considering how fair-skinned and easily-bruised my family is. But apparently I'm the exception to the rule. Mom bruises just by brushing up against things. I'm in a car wreck and there's not a single bruise on me. Mom is jealous

Lady Hobbs
09-01-2012, 04:50 AM

I believe Ohio is a no fault insurance state. In other words, it doesn't matter who causes the accident. Each parties insurance pays for their own claims.

If one car is not moving or is parked, then the operator of the moving vehicle is held responsible and his insurance pays for both vehicles. No fault does not mean no one gets a ticket, either. If someone is held responsible, they can be given a summons but in this case, with it being a medical issue, the driver of the truck most likely did not get ticketed.

A medical issue is not his fault anymore than if he had a heart attack.

mermaidwannabe
09-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Though there's some question as to whether he should have been on the road unless he was sure his medical condition was under control.

With diabetes, however, that's sometimes easier said than done. Since they had to feed him something, his blood sugar may have been too low -- he may have been hypoglycemic. It can be a delicate balance, sometimes, and very little is needed to throw it out of whack. He might have started out fine.

I once took care of a lady who was known as a "brittle diabetic" -- that is, her disease was very hard to keep under control.

Was he injured in the wreck? Has he expressed any concern about you?

His insurance company should still pay up, even if the cause was beyond his control. That's what people pay premiums for. Especially if one has comprehensive insurance which, as I understand it, is supposed to cover almost everything. Collision and liability are usually the most recommended.

Canada's laws might be different, though ...

Lady Hobbs
09-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Each state is regulated differently here by the Insurance Commission of that State. I like no fault insurance. Before we had it and there was an accident, it was fighting each other in court, dozens of phone calls trying to get your money while insurance companies fought with each other. Now each company just writes a check. Some deadbeat who had no insurance could sue you for his damages but if he hit you, you'd get nothing.

No fault divorce is also a good thing. This nonsense of going to court and having to tell a bunch of lies about each other and having the court decide if you can be divorced or not was a hill of beans.

Cyberra
09-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Yes, he was also injured. The collision pretty much smashed the front end of his truck; I don't see how he could avoided injury. I never saw him, myself, so I have no idea if he was concerned about me at all.

metal-otaku
09-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I believe Ohio is a no fault insurance state. In other words, it doesn't matter who causes the accident. Each parties insurance pays for their own claims.

If one car is not moving or is parked, then the operator of the moving vehicle is held responsible and his insurance pays for both vehicles. No fault does not mean no one gets a ticket, either. If someone is held responsible, they can be given a summons but in this case, with it being a medical issue, the driver of the truck most likely did not get ticketed.

A medical issue is not his fault anymore than if he had a heart attack.

no Ohio isn't. Michigan is. and so is Florida. i know about Michigan because i was hit there too.

Rue
09-01-2012, 11:10 PM
That was the wrecker's? He put it in a shed? :sconfused:

No matter...:hmm3grin2orange:

My daughter ...on her bicycle...was hit by a truck 2 weeks ago. Some serious bruising and road rash on her hands. Broke the axle of her bike...but she's also very lucky that 'all' that happened.

I'd like to get a hold of the truck that hit her though. At least he was decent enough to stop and make sure she was okay.

Cyberra
09-02-2012, 02:43 AM
That was the wrecker's? He put it in a shed? :sconfused:

No matter...:hmm3grin2orange:

My daughter ...on her bicycle...was hit by a truck 2 weeks ago. Some serious bruising and road rash on her hands. Broke the axle of her bike...but she's also very lucky that 'all' that happened.

I'd like to get a hold of the truck that hit her though. At least he was decent enough to stop and make sure she was okay.
The wrecker only had a small yard, so into the shed it went. And it'll stay there until the appraiser takes a look at it. Once it's been looked at, they're going to let dad siphon the gas tank; the Focus had a full tank and the price of gas is insane. I'm never going to get back the CD I was listening to when I was hit, though... At least I'll be able to burn a new copy once I get my disk burner replaced.

If your daughter survived a truck-vs-bike collision, that's even more of a miracle than me coming out of truck-vs-car with only minor cuts and a stitched lip.

Trillianne
09-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I dunno Cyberra.... maybe I'm too positive in my outlook on life, but.... it appears on your birthday for one fleeting moment you were a superhero.

You found yourself in the path of danger, saved some guys life, and walked away with some scratches and bruises.

And you didn't even have a cape! :ssuprised:

mermaidwannabe
09-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Trill has a point. If your car hadn't stopped this guy, who knows what horrific thing might have happened to someone else who might have wound up in his path through no fault of theirs. Maybe a head-on collision and much more serious injuries or even fatalities. What if he had hit a family car full of kids and their parents? Yes, you were a heroine that day! You not only saved his life but very likely other lives, as well! And you came out of it battered but otherwise relatively unscathed. Things like this often happen for a reason, and Someone was definitely looking out for both you and that truck driver.

And Rue, your daughter is extremely fortunate! I wouldn't be too hard on that trucker, since he did stop to see how she was. Some *****s would have fled the scene.

Looks like some guardian angels have been working overtime...

-- mermaid

Cyberra
09-03-2012, 03:38 AM
No cape, and my prized t-shirt with the female bettas on it was completely ruined. Too much blood on it to ever be soaked/washed out.

Rue
09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I got it...car at wrecker's until you get your stuff out of it...thumbs2:

Are you sure you can't clean your t? My son was in a roll-over/burn...and bled all over his too (scalp injury). I didn't think it would come clean - it was saturated and stiff by the time someone got it back to me, but we experimented and it actually did...

My daughter was side-swiped...vs. an all-on hit...not that that can't do serious damage...but still...

Cyberra
09-04-2012, 05:05 AM
At the wrecker's yard till we get it cleaned out and the insurance appraisers get a look at it. Then it goes to the scrapyard. There's no saving it.

And yes, I'm sure... It was absolutely soaked with blood and left that way for nearly a full day. There was no getting that blood out. It was also ripped from the collision and absolutely covered in shards of broken window glass. Am sad about it. That shirt was custom-ordered.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture625.jpg

Rue
09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
...is the logo damaged? If not you can cut it out and appliquae (sp?) it on a pillow!

Stlouisfish
09-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I completely agree with those who say you were meant to survive your birthday - and even if it didn't turn out the way you expected, many things happen that appear bad are really good. To end up with minor injuries is a blessing.

Cyberra
09-05-2012, 02:27 AM
...is the logo damaged? If not you can cut it out and applique (sp?) it on a pillow!
Torn and soaked with blood. The shirt went out with the garbage. Once my check comes in early October I'm going to see about ordering a new one.

The visible injuries are healing well. The scraping and smaller cuts from the broken glass are almost gone, and my lip is healing well. Can't wait for the stitches to come out, since anything brushing against them sends darts of pain right through my lip. They come out Thursday morning. I also have an appointment with my orthodontist, since I wear a retainer and it feels like my lower teeth have been knocked out of place.