PDA

View Full Version : Sailfin Molly Colour

*Sarah*
09-19-2007, 01:29 PM
I have 2 fry that I am raising, and one is darker than the other. They're almost ready to go into the adult tank. They are a couple of months old. At this young of age, are the males already darker than the females? I am hoping that one of them is male, since the father of them died, so that leaves me with only the female...
Anyway, just wondering if I can tell this early on..?

nanaglen2001
09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
You cant tell by the color if a Molly be it Sailfin or "normal" Molly, is a male or a female.

With Sailfins you can tell the sex cause of the much larger dorsal fin and of course the Gonopodium. Females dont have a Gonopodium, just a normal fin and the dorsal fin is much smaller.

*Sarah*
09-19-2007, 05:20 PM
You cant tell by the color if a Molly be it Sailfin or "normal" Molly, is a male or a female.

With Sailfins you can tell the sex cause of the much larger dorsal fin and of course the Gonopodium. Females dont have a Gonopodium, just a normal fin and the dorsal fin is much smaller.
Well they're too young to know by the gonopodium, but my adult female molly was much lighter than the male was. Can't tell by the sailfin yet either. I guess I"ll just have to wait.