09-19-2007, 07:31 AM
I posted this in breeding and havent got a response
I am just wondering if any one can help
my male has found his cave and the female just sits on the rock watching him
i have taken out all other bristle noses
is they any advice on how i can get them to breed

Algenco
09-19-2007, 12:27 PM
when the female has eggs they will spawn.
How old are they? They need to be about a year old before they will spawn. When they do spawn it is unlikely that you will see it happen, the female will suddenly appear thinner and you may be able to see the male gaurding the eggs

cocoa_pleco
09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
yep, i used to breed plecos, and you will rarely see it happen

mitcore
09-21-2007, 01:38 AM
they are about a yr old and my female is mighty fat,
do you think she has eggs?????

Zombie CT
09-21-2007, 01:42 AM
All is true, if you are able to keep your breading pair in a seperate tank with a couple ofPVC tubes in about 35mm diameter and about 200mm long,no other hidding place for them, they will spawn in the tubes. once spawning has taken place the male will look after the eggs and the fry when they hatch. but before that time once the eggs are laid and the male is in the tube venting water over the eggs you have 2 chopice's, 1) remove the female from that tank so as it is just the male and eggs, 2) to remove the PVC tube from the tank with the male and eggs inside to another tank.

mitcore
09-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Thanks
How long does it take for them to breed
he has his spot but she just doesnt seem interested
she is quite big and slow
so i am assuming that she might be carrying eggs am i correct?

Zombie CT
09-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Not to sure, the female that layed the eggs in my tank started to develop a boldge by her tummy and it got a reddish color to it which could only be seen when she was on the front glass,looking from the top one could see just behind her pectorial fins that she also looked slightly swollen. The next time I saw her she was flat and I had a male looking after eggs.

I'm going to be starting a new tank with just bristle nose's in to try and learn more about the breeding myself.

mitcore
10-12-2007, 02:04 AM
thanks
that has helped me i will give it a go