PDA

View Full Version : DIY structures/figurines

MG15
08-20-2012, 04:56 AM
Hey All,
New user here and am looking for a little help. I have a couple ideas kicking around in my head for a new theme for my fish tank. I would like to repurpose Lego building blocks (plastic) in order to build a couple structures. I was wondering if anyone could point me to what type of paint to use as well as a clear sealer to put over top to prevent chipping and protect the paint. Both have to be safe for my fishies of course and hopefully reasonably prices [have read about epoxy paints/sealers but it's a little out of my price range currently]. Also would I have to prime the Legos first/sand them down a little or can I just paint over top them as is? They are fairly old and worn.

Also I am looking to sculpt some custom figurines that would also be completely submerged. Anyone know of a good material to use? As well as paint/sealant for that material.

Hopefully I can get some ideas; I'm off the next couple of days and am itching to start the project.
Thanks in advance!!!

DUctapemaster
08-21-2012, 03:07 AM
If you're going to use lego blocks, they aren't painted. The plastic they are made out of is dyed the color they are, so the block is the same color all of the way through. However, if you're going to use figurines I believe the faces and details on those are painted on.