PDA

View Full Version : Boosting substrate nutrients?

Fisher_Zeb
08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
What can i put into my substrate to boost nutrients?
E.g ive heard peat helps plants and i understand that is im guessing because plants like lower ph, my ph i think before i put alot of bogwood in was neutral so it probably still is.

But i dont think it would boost my plants a hell of alot just lowering my ph so i dont find it worth it..is there anything else i can do? Ive tried Root tabs i saw a small difference so is there anything else more organic like something containing iron in its pure form.

Fisher_Zeb
08-15-2012, 06:25 PM
i am replacing the bulbs, as i think the current ones ive got is a problem.
I am using pea gravel which i know is also a problem but my budget is out of that.

PhillipOrigami
08-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Apparently plant roots like really low pH.(Aquasoil Amazonia New)

Root tabs.

Fisher_Zeb
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
so maybe peat balls is a reccomendation
ive used root tabs and see little improvement.

Fisher_Zeb
08-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Been researching if i would do peat i would have to RO my water :/

Goes to 11!
08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
ive used root tabs and see little improvement.
Over what time frame are you talking about here?
Also is your lighting adequate? [Details please].
:22:

dmagerl
08-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Not all root tabs are created equal. Which ones did you use?

Also, as already said, whats your lighting? If too low, all the nutrients in the world isnt going to speed growth.

Plants require a few things to grow; light, carbon, major nutrients, minor nutrients. They will grow only as fast as the limiting factor of any of those allow.

Goes to 11!
08-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=95973&highlight=root+tabs) is a recent thread you might want to check out.
:22:

Fisher_Zeb
08-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I was using api root tabs, saw little progress but i suppose the amount they gave me (around 8 i think) are only recommended for much smaller aquariums than mine.

My light fixture has 4 54w T5H0 but the tubes are cheap i think, they came with the product.

dmagerl
08-15-2012, 11:36 PM
API tabs have no minor nutrients. You can provide all the major nutrients in the world, but if you're lacking minor nutrients, you're not going to see any growth improvement.

Its the law of minimums. Whatever is the least available will keep the plants from growing no matter how much of everything else you provide.

If you have an inert substrate, I would pick a slow release tab such as Rootmedic caps or Flourish tabs. API is a fast release tab. My experience is that it basically turns to mush within hours of getting wet. Without a high CEC substrate Flourite,Eco Complete) the nutrients arent going to be held in the substrate for very long. Of course, plants can absorb nutrients from the water column too, so maybe fast release isnt such a big deal.

AquaCats
08-16-2012, 12:17 AM
@850R: Darn you for posting that link to the previous thread! I've been pondering the same question for a while now, and because of your link to that thread, I'm short a lot more money than I was an hour ago!

Goes to 11!
08-16-2012, 12:27 PM
:22: You're very welcome . . :think: . . And/or my apologies. :shifty: :c3:.