PDA

View Full Version : Help Please !

AshleyBee
08-15-2012, 12:38 AM
I was wondering whether i could keep my female betta fish together with 11 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. Yes i know, 10 gallons for 12 fish ? no. i understand that thoroughly, but my mom won't let me get a bigger tank. she said 10 gallons was the max. so getting a new tank isn't an option. yes, i do have a separate 1/2 gallon tank for my betta (she has lived in there for 3 years and done perfectly fine) but my question is : WILL THE AMMONIA OF 11 GOLDFISH BE UNHEALTHY/KILL A FEMALE BETTA FISH ?

what i eventually want for my tank is (in the 10 gallon tank), 4 of my guppies (3 females ; 1 male), the one female betta, and 1 or 2 goldfish (preferably 2). but my guppies are still about 2~2.5 centimeters and not fully grown so i dont wanna put them with the goldfish yet. and i have 11 goldfish (which are WAY too many ; my grandpa bought them :P) i want the number of goldfish way down. so overall, one betta, four guppies, and one to two goldfish.

i'll give you some background information about my betta fish, she is actually quite good with other fish species ! i have kept her in the goldfish tank for about the last 30 minutes. at first, she was flaring towards them and showing a little bit of hostility, but she now ignores them and they ignore her. they dwell mostly at the bottom and Sashimi (her name) usually at the middle-top part of the tank. She sometimes goes down to the bottom of the tank but comes back up in a little.

i want to know whether or not it'll be unhealthy for a female betta fish to be with 11 goldfish. the number of goldfish will probably decrease because i bought them today and the number usually goes down by 3 or 4. anyways, please help ! and i saw alot of "it's okay to keep them together !" and "it's not okay !"

what i eventually want for my tank is (in the 10 gallon tank), 4 of my guppies (3 females ; 1 male), the one female betta, and 1 or 2 goldfish (preferably 2). but my guppies are still about 2~2.5 centimeters and not fully grown so i dont wanna put them with the goldfish yet. and i have 11 goldfish (which are WAY too many ; my grandpa bought them :P) i want the number of goldfish way down. so overall, one betta, four guppies, and one to two goldfish.

pleaseee help and give me as much tips as possible ! :help:

guppymummy
08-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah, Gold fish produce a TON of waste. I would say 1 gold fish to a 10 gallon, max. Maybe 2. gold fish get BIG. HOpefully you can rehome them or get a much bigger tank.

Better fish would be tetras or platys. (need heater) And female Bettas I have found do not much get along with many fish. Atleast in my experience.

Good luck.

guppymummy
08-15-2012, 12:44 AM
And if you put all those Gold fish in, they will decrease in number alright, they will die in their own waste.

Goes to 11!
08-15-2012, 12:51 AM
I was wondering whether i could keep my female betta fish together with 11 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. TL/DNR
No, Under no circumstances.

There is also no need to post this in two different places. You can easily get all of the "no" answers in one convenient place.

And I assure you you will.
:22:

mommy1
08-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Do you seriously have 11 goldfish in a 10g? That environment is unhealthy for all your fish. Not even one goldfish should be in a 10g ever. If you care anything at all for your fish you will take the goldfish back. The betta will be fine in a 10g and so will a few guppies but never with all those goldfish.

Indian Woods Angels
08-15-2012, 02:42 AM
A betta likes water that is rather stagnant but clean that is 82 to 84 F.

A goldfish can endure a winter in a pond and really likes a cooler temp, hates water temps up over the 76F range in most cases.

For that reason the two fish are non compatible.

A nice 2.5 gallon tank with a small filter and little would keep betta happy all by her self.

Sorry.

homemadepopcorn
08-15-2012, 03:53 AM
I may be beating a dead horse by now but you cannot keep bettas with goldfish.

Goldfish are coldwater fish which do better without a heater in the tank. Bettas require tropical water and will therefore enjoy temperatures around 78 degrees.

Depending on the type of goldfish, they will grow anywhere from six inches to 1 foot or more and therefore, it would be inappropriate to house a goldfish in a 10g tank.

Seeing as you already have 11 goldfish, you have three advisable options. You don't have to do what I'm about to tell you, but it'll probably save you some headache and heartache and ensure that the fish are be properly taken care of.

Either return the fish and purchase fish which are more appropriate for your tank size. Keep the fish and get a much bigger tank; a rough estimate would be a 125g tank. Return some of the fish and keep the rest and get a tank that would house them in adulthood.

Please feel free to ask any questions, we're here to help.

Azurescriber
08-15-2012, 03:59 AM
Wow....no, please do not mix those fish. Bettas need very warm water, and goldfish need cooler temps.

PLEASE return those poor goldfish, they need at least 20g for the fancy types, and more if they are feeders. They are swimming around in a sewer, since I cannot imagine you can do enough w/c to keep the ammonia down. There should be NO ammonia in a healthy tank. Your fish will live short, miserable lives.

I am sorry, but that is the truth. If you love them, return them or rehome them to someone who can keep them properly. Be advised they grow very fast, so if you decide to keep one, you will still need a bigger tank soon.

We are here to help.