PDA

View Full Version : how good are plecos on plants?

genocidex
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
I would loke to get a small school of otos for my 55g but i might not be able to get them, if i cant find ... I might need a pleco. Will they destroy my plants? If not whats a good sub for otos?

SueD
08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
The rubber nose pleco, also known as bulldog pleco, is gentler on plants than a bristle nose and they stay a little smaller. I have both in different tanks and I really like both.

abraham3660
08-14-2012, 01:26 AM
I recently got an albino bn pleco for my planted tank, and I haven't noticed any damage to plants. I am really surprised by how much algae he has eaten though, and he is fun to watch! If you do get a bn pleco, make sure you have some driftwood in the tank. Mine hangs out on the dw most of the time. As for the otos, I have about every pet store in my area and the only place that carries otos is petsmart. I have both in my tank (otos and a bn pleco) and they do fine together. Just make sure you feed them veggies/algae wafers to supplement their diet. Good luck

Brhino
08-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I too have a BN pleco in a planted tank and its fine with the plants. I imagine most of the small plecos should be fine.

homemadepopcorn
08-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Depends on the type of pleco and the the type of plants.

Generally, plecos will tear up plants that are not well rooted or that have been newly planted (therefore not rooted).

My common and royal plecos would tear things out constantly. Its a pain.

dmagerl
08-14-2012, 02:06 AM
My bristlenose has definitely damaged my swords. You can see where they've abraded the leaves. Usually its on older leaves that need to be trimmed anyway.

genocidex
08-14-2012, 04:33 AM
theres one place 62 miles away that carries plenty of otos (huge store with just over 200 fresh water tanks) its great. i need to see if its worth the trip i can get them from petsolutions for about 2 a piece with 20 for shipping.... not a bad deal lol.

Trillianne
08-14-2012, 06:04 AM
I have not noticed any issue with my rubbernose or my gold nugget on my plants.

I swear mine are special kinds of weirdo though...they like to eat their zuchinnis from the skin side. :scratchheadyellow:

homemadepopcorn
08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I swear mine are special kinds of weirdo though...they like to eat their zuchinnis from the skin side. :scratchheadyellow:

Something sounds fishy to me... hehehe... :hmm3grin2orange: