PDA

View Full Version : in need of some water help

geeteedan
08-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Have a 55g tank that currently has a 9-10 inch long tiger Oscar and 1 small blue gromet or something of that nature. I did have a 8-9 inch longer alge eater but it died a week ago. I found out that our city recently switched a chemical they use in the city water and I'm not sure if that's a problem or just 1 of them. I tested my water a few days ago after the alge eater died and noticed this, ammonia was very high, nitrate was very High, nitrite was high, hardness was hard, alkallinity was low and ph was low. Over the last few days I've done a few 20% water changes along with gravel vacuum. I also added some ammonia reducer and ph up. The test I did just now shows ammonia level at ideal, nitrate is still very high, nitrite is safe, hardness is still hard, alkallinity is still low and ph is still at the bottom of the chart at 5.5

I'm not sure which route to take next as the water hasn't gotten noticeably better in 4-5 days.

Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. I know its a long rant but I didn't want to leave anything out.

Oh btw: when I do the partial water changes I use prime to treat the water before adding it back to the tank

MandyK
08-12-2012, 03:06 AM
Sounds like your tank recycled for some reason. Did you test your untreated tap water to compare results?

Cliff
08-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Sounds like you are using test strips. If that is the case, get a liquid test kit or have your water tested with one for a more accurate measurement rather than "safe" or "low". Test strips can be inaccurate if not handled under ideal conditions. You want to be sure you are reacting to a real problem or you could make things worse

Also, what type of filter do you have on your tank and what type of routine maintenance do you complete ?

escamosa
08-12-2012, 03:13 AM
I was pretty much gonna say and ask the same things! :hmm3grin2orange: Beat me to it, Cliff!

geeteedan
08-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Sounds like your tank recycled for some reason. Did you test your untreated tap water to compare results?

Yes tested the tap water and all it showed was hard water

geeteedan
08-12-2012, 03:19 AM
Sounds like you are using test strips. If that is the case, get a liquid test kit or have your water tested with one for a more accurate measurement rather than "safe" or "low". Test strips can be inaccurate if not handled under ideal conditions. You want to be sure you are reacting to a real problem or you could make things worse

Also, what type of filter do you have on your tank and what type of routine maintenance do you complete ?

Yea I am using test strips. This is the one I'm using

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/geeteedan/20120811_231625.jpg

As far a filter, its a whisper 75 gallon filter if I can remember correctly

Cliff
08-12-2012, 03:37 AM
That filter is likely a little undersized for a 55 gallon, at least IMO. I alway like to get a filter that is rated for twice the volume of the tank. The reason being is that most manufacters over-state the capasity of their filters.

However, if you lightly stock your tank it might be OK. As your oscar will outgrow your tank, you might want to re-home him now.

Using a good water conditioner like Prime will also help handle anything the city puts in your water supply