PDA

View Full Version : Rainbowfish and water flow

hydra01
08-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I have read a lot of conflicting literature on the web and print about how Rainbowfish either enjoy minimum or decent water flow. Which is it?

The fish in question are turquoise rainbows

Thank you

Cory Catfish
08-11-2012, 09:38 PM
They won't like it strong but a decent current is fine. I don't know which one they prefer though. To be honest, it probably isn't extremely important.

escamosa
08-11-2012, 10:13 PM
The turquoise rainbows come from Lake Kutubu, Papua New Guinea, so you really don't have to provide them with much current at all. thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
08-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Actually a larger tank than a 55 is best for rainbows. I also kept them in a 55 but they are fast swimmers and could really benefit from a 6 ft tank.

Indian Woods Angels
08-12-2012, 02:51 AM
If there is a problem with my posting this link you will not offend me removing it. It is one of the best rainbow fish sites on the web.
http://rainbow-fish.org/

I find it to be a real asset when looking for quality specimens and breeding information on these fantastic fish.

hydra01
08-12-2012, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. appreciate it.

bethyMT
09-29-2012, 11:32 PM
I am bringing up an old thread here, but I just had to take my powerhead out. The rainbows hated it. Had it going on its lowest setting, but they still avoided it like the plague, and subsequently were not using about half of thier 48" tank. I thought they would like it, but no. Once I took it out and replaced it with the ol' bubble wall, they began to swim around the entire tank.

So, IDK if this is indicative of the fact that I raised them in a too small tank or whatever, but my bows didn't like a current. Thought it was cool at first, but not a thing they enjoyed.

escamosa
09-30-2012, 07:36 AM
In my opinion, it's all to do with where the species of Rainbow comes from. Some are from lakes, some are from rivers and streams, and some could be coming to you from breeding facilities which may not simulate their natural environment, which will then change the fishes preference for current. Quite a lot of places will tell you that Rainbows prefer quite a lot of current, just the same as African Cichlids, but not ALL of them like it, or actually come from water with currents. Lake Malawi, where most of the popular African Cichlids come from doesn't have currents or tides. Same as Lake Kutuba, where Turquoise Rainbows come from.

Someone might buy a fish from an environment with a lot of current, but when they're in a tank, a lot of their natural environment is taken away from them, so we have to fiddle around with all of these so called preferences to make them as comfortable as possible. My Cichlids are the same as your Rainbows - I read conflicting opinions, tried a bit extra current, but they really didn't like a lot of current at all. So I took a lot of it away, and now they swim the whole tank. You've done the right thing, in my opinion! :ssmile:

winnyoy
10-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Hi. I need your help. I have never had an aquarium,so I've got lots of questions) I have read many reviews (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/veterinary.html), but still not sure how to feed rainbow fish. Can you advise?

Cliff
10-26-2012, 12:07 PM
winnyoy, please start your own thread to ask your questions

You will get a lot better help that way

homemadepopcorn
10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
You should find out where your species is from (rivers, lakes etc.) and that will give you an idea on how much current to provide. Keep in mind that just because they may be river fish does not mean you need a huge powerhead to create a current. Too little current is okay, too much current creates problems.