PDA

View Full Version : stange blue lobster behavior

1MileCrash
09-16-2007, 07:37 PM
my hammers cobalt blue lobster has been acting odd the past couple of days.

well over the last week he has not been eating normally...he's been getting the sinking pellets and i kinda figured he was getting tired of them, so i picked up a few feeder fish...some rosy reds i think...they were $0.28 each so i figured what the heck.

anyway.

the lobster has this little parthenon kinda thing that he lives in. it's got columns on a coupe sides so i can see in and he can see out and a couple of larger openings so he can get in and out easily. well i couldn't find him. turned out he had climbed up inside of the thing and was hanging head down from the ceiling wiggling around. he did this for 2 days! occasionally he'd change positions a little bit but for nearly 2 days he hung out upside down in the top of his house. this was after i added the new feeder fish.

i turned the light on this morning and he's now sitting back on the ground in the parthenon. he hasn't gone after the feeder fish yet...all 4 are still there. he hasn't, and never did, lose his color during the past few days. and he hasn't molted. in fact he hasn't molted but once in the 2 or 3 months that i've had him.

anyone know what the heck he's doing? or if something is wrong with him? he physically looks just fine.

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Well i don't know what is wrong with im....but my crayfish always did wht yours was doing. She always hung upside down in her little den. lol.

Well are you feeding him/her veggies????

Try fedding him/her a slice of cucumber on like a fishing line. he/she would prob. love it. lol.
Hope this somewhat helps

1MileCrash
09-16-2007, 08:18 PM
actually no i've never fed him any type of vegitable matter. i'll have to drop a piece of carrot or something in there for him sometime soon. thanks for the tip and for letting me know that the behavior wasn't weird. perhaps he was hunting from that position with the new fish in the tank then.

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
well i don't know if they will eat carrots but try cucumber, zuchinni (sp?), and lettuce. it may float so you will have to figure out a way for it to sink. but it might sink. depends on what you use. YOu could just get some rocks and put on the corner to hold it down and the crayfish will eat around it. lol.

Hope all of this helps.
squirt

1MileCrash
09-16-2007, 08:38 PM
kool...i'll give that a shot. thanks again.

well...put two small slices of cucumber in the tank while he was sitting on the ground inside his home...and he promptly moved back up the wall to the ceiling corner of his home.

i think i have the worlds pansiest lobster.

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 10:23 PM
well i have never heard of a crayfish giving up a cucumber. huh. well maybe....um....well i don't know. Mine just loved them.

1MileCrash
09-16-2007, 10:43 PM
hehe...maybe he'll pull his head out of his arse and come down and eat them. he did grab a hold of one of them and let it go.

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 11:07 PM
hes probably never had any before so it might take him a while before he gets the courage to get used to it and he will have to try it before he realizes he likes it or hates it. So it will take some time. I would leave the cucumber in there over night and see in the morning if he had eat any out of it.

1MileCrash
09-17-2007, 04:51 AM
he came out of seclusion this evening. i shut his light off a little while ago and watched him with a red lensed flashlight for a little while. he's moving around just fine. i worried for nothing. and like i read somewhere else today it says that they older they get the more nocturnal they get.

1MileCrash
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
well just a little update.

he didn't eat or for that matter really touch the slices of cucumbers...must not like them i'll have to try some other form of vegitation.

last nite i watched him come close to grabbing a hold of one of the feeder fish but it was more that it startled him as he was being a lazy bum sittin there in the dark as opposed to him actively hunting the fish.

perhaps i will drop an earthworm in the tank with him and see if he grabs a hold of that and eats it. otherwise it's back to the sinking pellets. i'd really like to get him to eat something aside from just those though.

as it comes down to it now he hides in his cave pretty much all day and comes out in the late evening/early morning and when i have the tank lights off so he has become basically nocturnal. he is very active at night, but hasn't eaten recently that i have witnessed.

squirt_12
09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Well i know that alot of fish like zuchinni (sp?) so you can try that and also you could TRY veggie rounds but....i don't know if he will eat them or not. But you could try it because he would get his veggies from them. Or well some of his veggies. But you should experiment and find a veggie for him that e likes.

Good luck.

Thanks for the update!!!!:c10: