PDA

View Full Version : Amazon biotope?

DoublEntendre
07-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Is there an Amazon-biotope-compatible moss? I really like how it looks and it has a great function, but I want my biotope to remain as such.

DylanisHawttt
07-30-2012, 12:42 AM
What's wrong with good ol' Java Moss? I've seen people attach it to driftwood and some rocks successfully in Amazon biotopes.

DoublEntendre
07-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Well, it's not from the Amazon; it's from Asia.

Goes to 11!
07-30-2012, 02:19 AM
Well, it's not from the Amazon; it's from Asia.
Christmas Moss is alleged in some places to have Brazilian origins. But some think it is actually from SA.
:22:

DoublEntendre
07-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I've heard that. Why doesn't anyone know where it's from?

Goes to 11!
07-30-2012, 03:11 AM
No Idea :shrug:

DoublEntendre
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
So in the aquarium trade we have Java and Christmas mosses and that's all?

Goes to 11!
07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
What? I didn't notice anybody saying that.:hmm3grin2orange:

:idea: Your SA criteria might be limiting the replies, Or nobody is interested enough to look further for you.

DylanisHawttt
07-30-2012, 09:32 PM
There is a bunch of different mosses, I'm not too positive on their origins but here's about all the types of mosses that I know: Java, Christmas, Flame, Willow, and Riccia Fluitans (Crystalwort). But I feel like with your Amazon Biotope, if you had that 1-2 Asian plants that were small enough to not be THAT noticeable, you could have your Asian fish no problem. If that makes sense? So it wouldn't JUST be an Amazon Biotope with Asian fish. You would have a little blending point. In my Amazon tank I have Harley's, which aren't even close to native Amazonian tetras.

DoublEntendre
07-31-2012, 04:19 AM
I couldn't stand to have a biotope with non-biotope plants or animals in it. I'm way too obsessive about that sort of thing. Riccia would work in my other tank though. But I can't find any kind of moss that's from South America.

DylanisHawttt
07-31-2012, 05:04 AM
What exactly are you trying to do with the moss? Maybe you could find another plant to take it's place or find a few ways to fix it.

DoublEntendre
08-01-2012, 04:06 AM
What exactly are you trying to do with the moss? Maybe you could find another plant to take it's place or find a few ways to fix it.

Well, I was trying to find something to 'decorate' my driftwood with. And then, it also provides hiding spots for small animals, which is a nice benefit.

FRS001
09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi ther...

Did you manage to find some moss for Amazon Biotope? I'm setting up my first amazon biotope and am also obsessed like you to get everything from the amazon region.

I found Vesicularia Dubyana and Vesicularia Montagnei which some plant info websites say they are from S.America and plenty of others say from Asia...

Quite impossible not to find some amazon moss sold from shops :)

FS