PDA

View Full Version : The No-Direct-Sunlight Rule...

Amadaca
07-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Does the opposite of this apply in a tank with a Plec? If I have a 57G long with one Bristlenose Plec, should I encourage algae growth?

BTW, I regularly expose my 17G to window sunlight, sometimes to save power, others because my light has no timer, and I sometimes have to leave for work at odd hours, so letting natural light in and slowly fade away in time makes sense.

Why do I see no algae growth? Not even a speck? I have no algae-eaters currently.

MCHRKiller
07-27-2012, 07:15 PM
The lighting may not be intense enough to promote excess algae growth, you may also not have high enough nutrients in the tank to enable algae growth, and you may not be using artificial lighting long enough in combination with the sunlight to cause an issue. Algae growth is a combination of factors not just lighting. It typically needs a nutrient source(nitrate, phosphate, etc) in combination with a catalyst(excess lighting, poor water flow, etc) to become an issue.

dbosman
07-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Does the opposite of this apply in a tank with a Plec? If I have a 57G long with one Bristlenose Plec, should I encourage algae growth?

Plecos are not algae eaters. They need to be fed just as the other fish in your tank need to be fed.
Plecos eat algae as part of their diet, but mostly they rasp algae off things to eat the micro organisms growing there.

Amadaca
07-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Just driftwood and vegetables/wafers, then?

MCHRKiller
07-27-2012, 07:42 PM
They also do well with some sinking foods with more of a protein base as an additional part of the diet as well. Hikari massivore is good as a weekly treat.

smaug
07-27-2012, 10:23 PM
The driftwood isnt really nutritional I dont think. I believe it is beneficial to and needed by some plcs like panax. As for the direct sunlight ,its not an issue unless its getting alot of it in conjunction with the electric light. It is certainly true that plecs eat very lttle algae compared to the food they need in a tank. One of the reasons they are such a useless addition,high bioload,not very interesting and dont clear up algae but due to being big poopers actually add to the problem:hmm3grin2orange: BN plecs are the exception.

Lady Hobbs
07-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Mine get cucumbers, zucchini, catfish pellets, algae pellets and eat flake foods as well.

Amadaca
07-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Great. Are there any foods the following fish would turn their nose up at (making it easier to feed my Pleco)?

Neon Tetras
Siamese Fighters
Gold Rams
Kuhli Loaches

smaug
07-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Drop food for the plec at night.

wijnands
07-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Great. Are there any foods the following fish would turn their nose up at (making it easier to feed my Pleco)?

Neon Tetras
Siamese Fighters
Gold Rams
Kuhli Loaches

The first three usually don't show much interest in bottom feeding. The kuhlis will compete to some extent but prefer a meatier diet. Algae wafers are a good bet. Kuhli are also nocturnal so dropping at night will not help much.