PDA

View Full Version : Aqueon or Fluval brand aquarium?

toban
07-27-2012, 02:08 AM
I plan on upgrading to a 45 or 50 gallon tank and planned on buying a used one. However my parents offered some money to me to buy a new one.

I understand All Glass Aquariums is now called Aqueon or they own Aqueon?

Fluval is made by Hagen?

Petsmart said Aqueon are great aquariums, one of the top brands they carry.

I phoned Petland. They carry a few Aqueon but said Fluval is better.

The Fluval is a 45 gallon bowfront. Dimensions are 36" x 16" x 20" (8 mm glass). It comes with the canopy, fluor light, Fluval C4 power filter, Fluval submersible heater (M series), net, fish food etc. Stand not included.

The Aqueon is a 45 gallon (regular, not a bowfront) with canopy, fluor light and stand. No filter, heater etc. Dimensions are... 36 " L x 13"W x 24 "H

I added up the difference in price. The Aqueon I would need to buy a heater and filter. The Fluval I would need to buy a stand.

I'm not sure if the Fluval C4 filter is noisy? It looks similar to a Aqua Clear (I could be wrong). I currently have a Fluval U3 filter in my 29 gallon which is quiet.

The difference in price (including taxes) is $75.15 between the two above mentioned. The Aqueon is cheaper.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a difference in quality with regards to the aquarium itself. If one is more sturdy or better built? No difference?

The Aqueon has a narrower width. Not sure if that will make a difference when decorating the tank?

I plan on transfering my driftwood and plants to the new tank. The only thing I will need to buy is more sand. Filter and heater if I go with the Aqueon.

Thanks! :)

Lady Hobbs
07-27-2012, 02:17 AM
I have never heard of a Fluval tank. Mine are All Clear tanks. (Now Aqueon)

toban
07-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Thanks Lady Hobbs :) So I'm guessing tanks made by Aqueon are good?

This is the Fluval tank on the Hagen (Canada) website...http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/Starter-Kits-All-Glass/15231

Taurus
07-27-2012, 11:38 AM
I have never heard of a Fluval tank. Mine are All Clear tanks. (Now Aqueon)

I think LH means All Glass. Aqueon acquired All Glass. There are plenty of All Glass tanks left around for sale, but they are in general old stock, but good tanks. I own two of them. Aqueon tanks are basically made the same way as the old All Glass tanks. Aqueon tanks are good tanks for basic glass tanks.

ScottishFish
07-27-2012, 01:59 PM
I got a second hand Fluval aquarium, great tank. Its a bowfront and its a cracker of a tank thumbs2: it came with a 600L per hour filter which isn't noisey at all, I did however add extra filtration.

pjaldave
07-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Not sure about the tanks but I do own a C4 an it is really quiet. Only thing you can hear is the splashing of the water.

toban
07-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks everyone!

I haven't viewed the Aqueon in person yet but plan to do so in the next few weeks. I looked at the Fluval on display but didn't examine the canopy too much.

So basically both the Aqueon and Fluval are good tanks is what I gather :)

My brother and sister in law often sleep in the rec room (where the tank will be located) on a sofa bed. He use to complain about the splashing of the water when I had an Aqua Clear filter in my 29 gallon. However I will look at the C4.

Taurus
07-27-2012, 09:57 PM
My brother and sister in law often sleep in the rec room (where the tank will be located) on a sofa bed. He use to complain about the splashing of the water when I had an Aqua Clear filter in my 29 gallon. However I will look at the C4.

Let the surface level of the tank's water rise to or slightly above the bottom lip of the spillway return and there should be no splashing sound. An adequately sized AquaClear filter is a great filter.

toban
07-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks! I will look at the Fluval C series filter.

I will probably go with an Aqueon tank. Actually I'm considering a 55 gallon.

Let the surface level of the tank's water rise to or slightly above the bottom lip of the spillway return and there should be no splashing sound. An adequately sized AquaClear filter is a great filter.