PDA

View Full Version : Could I Do This?

Amadaca
07-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Use an 8L (2G) container to raise two very young and rather small Plecos to a decent size before moving them into my community tank?

Id really like to try, I think the one I want is just a bit small and may be bullied at his current size. Id get him a small buddy. They grow to 10-12cm (3-4") right?

Could I raise them to a bigger size using a HOB Filter, piece of driftwood (cant find bogwood anywhere) and algae wafers, with assorted vegetables? Is this a good idea or bad, guys?

Thanks for any expertise.

Aeonflame
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Get a tote tank or storage bin with a sponge filter instead.

Goes to 11!
07-26-2012, 06:05 PM
+1

Aeon nailed it.

Amadaca
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
What is the significance of a sponge filter?

Sorry, Im still new guys.

Amadaca
07-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Will driftwood suffice in place of bog (in terms of something to rasp at all day)?

Goes to 11!
07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
What is the significance of a sponge filter?

Sorry, Im still new guys.
What type of Pleco is this as commons grow much much larger than the size you mentioned?

Either wood is fine.

RE Sponge filter: It's fry safe, Easy to seed & situate in the tote and also useful after you are done with it.

What filtration were you planning on using before the sponge filter was mentioned?
:22:

Amadaca
07-26-2012, 06:54 PM
BNs. They dont get a lot beyond what I described, right?

Just to clarify myself, Im not intending to raise fry. Im taken with a very small (Neon Tetra-sized) golden (albino? Its the colour of the sun) Plec, and I was thinking he'd probably want a bud, so Id get one small regular Plec.

I think Goldie needs a little more size to avoid any risk of being hassled. The eventual tank is a 100cm (39") rectangular, 225L (57G).

I had a HOB filter and I used it to raise a Guppy fry I accidently procured.

Goes to 11!
07-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I have a pair of L144 BN plecs [They look just like the albino ones but with blue/black eyes, See below] that are over 5" but they are larger than average. Yours might get an inch bigger than you stated but that makes no difference in the big picture.

If a common plec is your only choice for company give it a miss.

They get far far too large for your tank & yours will be absolutely fine solo.

You really do need to upsize the grow out container IMO though as even with minimal stock the water parameters can go down hill pretty fast in such a small volume.

The reason the sponge filter was mentioned is in case you were going to need to purchase a filter as they are cheap to buy/make and wont suck up smaller stock like fry or baby plecs.

L144 :1luvu:
http://web.ornamentalfish.com.tw/upload/L144.jpg

EDIT:
so Id get one small regular Plec. By your wording I thought you meant a common plec - Is there a chance you meant a normally colored BN plec instead? If this is the case two are fine.

es31710
07-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Regular Bristlenoses tend to get over 5 inches just a warning because you said they get to be 3-4 inches

Amadaca
07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Sorry, by, "regular," yes, I meant regular colouration. The picture you posted is exactly what he is. Maybe I'll just get one, if hes going to get to 15cm and want some territory. Would he be too big in my tank described above?

Thats a fair bit bigger than my Kuhlis? Would he threaten their peace or safety, full-grown?

Thanks again for the tips, guys.

Goes to 11!
07-26-2012, 10:20 PM
He will be fine in there and he won't bother anybody, You have room for a pair if you want IMO although M/F or F/F would be best and yours are to young to sex so you might just go solo.

wijnands
07-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Bristlenose tend to be gentle vegetarians. If you do go ahead with the plan of raising it seperately then also provide a heater and something to shelter under. A large flowerpot shard for example. Toss in a few strands of eloda and they should be fine.

Even 2 males in a single tank doesn't need to be much of an issue if there's space for them to set up a territory. Break up sightlines a bit and make sure there's a few hiding places on either end.

Amadaca
07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks.

What Im going to do is leave it for now, and when I move, worry about it then. If there are still only very small specimens available, I'll go ahead with just the one and place him in a grow out container with a piece of driftwood for cover and grazing.