PDA

View Full Version : interacting with oscars

cocoa_pleco
09-15-2007, 02:49 AM
since my oscar always follows me, i figure i should try puting my hand in the water and seeing what he does. the one thing stopping me- i just read on yahoo on how some girls boyfriend got bit by a oscar when moving plants and he lost a chunk of his arm and blood was allover, and he didnt feel well the next morning.

are the odds strong he'll bite me?

Arkie
09-15-2007, 05:08 AM
i think its up to the individual oscar, bert and ernie wont bite me, or even attempt it, but oscar on the other hand! he has lept out of the water to get me and when i was planting plants in his tank today he was very close to trying to attack my hand. i usually just softly push him back if he threatens to bite and that fixes him, but today he actually turned back around to try and bite me again. i spose just try and see what your oscar does. im only new to oscars and im still learning as i go. hopefully yours doesnt try to bite you hey. im scared of the day when oscar's fully grown and he decides if he doesnt want me in his tank and will not listen to my gentle push away from me!!!!

cocoa_pleco
09-15-2007, 05:20 AM
lol, mine always looks up at me when i feed him or do water changes, like hes gonna pounce on me or something.

harvey
09-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't know cocoa....mine come to me and Mary will jump out of the water for food. But they all retreat when I am doing a water change.

2manyfish
09-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Mine bites me because he's looking for food! When he realizes I don't have any (or that my fingers are in fact 'not food') he stops. Doesn't hurt at all. Doesn't draw blood either. At least not yet!! He's only about 9" TL so I guess I'll find out as he grows!

Under normal circumstances most oscars aren't going to be that aggressive anyway. If there are eggs in the tank or the female is about to lay eggs then I could definitely see that happening!

cocoa_pleco
09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
lol, i'll try it tonight. who knows, maybe i'll be one finger lighter!

deckard_wa
09-16-2007, 09:58 AM
One of mine bites me every week when I do a pwc. He's not too keen on the gravel vac either thumbs2:

It's never hurt me, though it does feel a little weird, I guess it's one of those things you'd have to experience. Freaked the heck out of me the first time it happened :14:

Lady Hobbs
09-16-2007, 02:27 PM
You sound like me. Doubt it would hurt but will startle you. Give him something big enough to take from your hand. Like a goldfish. :)

cocoa_pleco
09-16-2007, 04:31 PM
lol, my black moor goldfish aint going nowhere!

the oscar will follow my finger around the whole tank, and so do the convicts. its like a little marching parade!

RazorShark
10-05-2007, 08:00 PM
i think its up to the individual oscar, bert and ernie wont bite me, or even attempt it, but oscar on the other hand! he has lept out of the water to get me and when i was planting plants in his tank today he was very close to trying to attack my hand. i usually just softly push him back if he threatens to bite and that fixes him, but today he actually turned back around to try and bite me again. i spose just try and see what your oscar does. im only new to oscars and im still learning as i go. hopefully yours doesnt try to bite you hey. im scared of the day when oscar's fully grown and he decides if he doesnt want me in his tank and will not listen to my gentle push away from me!!!!
Won't he dig up those plants?

zackish
10-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I want oscars!
I definitely would not do that haha, I bet he would bite you. Those things seem vicious. He will probably think your finger is a goldfish or something. My gouramis nip at my arm and fingers if I am in the tank pruning or moving something.

cocoa_pleco
10-05-2007, 09:39 PM
lol, i havent bothered trying yet, i dont trust him.

what seems to entertain him is a floating thermometer. he likes to push it around and chase it

2manyfish
10-05-2007, 09:58 PM
what seems to entertain him is a floating thermometer. he likes to push it around and chase it

Be careful of that! I have heard many stories of oscars breaking the thermometer and having pieces of glass in the tank and sometimes the oscar will attempt to eat pieces of it!! I don't keep one in my oscars tank and I have one of those protected heaters too....(really tired I think they're Stealth heaters?)

cocoa_pleco
10-05-2007, 10:02 PM
i was worried about that too at first, but he doesnt smash it, just bobs it a bit.

the other bad thing would the the mercury leaking if it broke, i'll keep an eye on it

Nick89
10-05-2007, 10:06 PM
coco, you get a light bulb your your flash on your camera?? i want to see that oscar of yours. He sounds cool lol.

crackatinny
10-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Leroy jumps up at feeding time and likes the pellets dropped straight in his mouth (about a quarter of his body is above water), he got the wifes finger one day, but it was more of a shock to her than hurt.

cocoa_pleco
10-06-2007, 12:45 AM
mine runs up to the top, and body slams the water surface and grabs the pellets. hes so fast the poor convict has to have sinking pellets

2manyfish
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Hahaha...this is funny, oscars are soooo weird!!

The oscar tank in our house is in the bedroom and sometimes at night you will hear Irwin slamming the glass lid....there may or may not be a moth or something in there - I actually think that he is seeing shadows but it sure will wake you up!!

Nick89
10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey ive read that oscars are known to smash through aquarium glass when they get bigger, any truth to this?

2manyfish
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I am sure that a large oscar could push aside a lid fairly easily. Mine right now can make the lid move but I have these nice brick type things I can put on top once it gets to that point!

Nick89
10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
but can they smash right through the glass? by trying to battle their reflection? lol

cocoa_pleco
10-15-2007, 09:54 PM
large fish, such as oscars, pacu, and jack dempseys, are notorious for breaking tanks, heaters, and filters. if they get scared they dash so fast that theyre bound to hit something.

Nick89
10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
should i be worried when i get one?

cocoa_pleco
10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
i wouldnt think so, mainly oscars freak out when a rock structure falls, a object hits the tabk like a kid, or a light goes on too fast. if you want a precaution get a heater guard for your heater

Nick89
10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
ok cool. Only things i have in my tank or going in is a sunken ship and some fake plant. Boat is pretty big, 11inches long and theres an airline you can plug into.

cocoa_pleco
10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
that reminds me. another thing is to weigh down light objects, and driftwood. theyre notorious for picking up objects, throwing them, and breaking the tank

Nick89
10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
lol jeez they are just destructive little buggers lol. The boat i got i think is pretty heavy. I got a few fake plants (4) and i hope he feels more secure. You think him just hidind behind the boat will be enough for him?

cocoa_pleco
10-15-2007, 10:31 PM
that should be fine

Nick89
10-15-2007, 10:37 PM
alrighty then. yea its pretty cool. you plug in an airline and bubbles come out of every little crack and crevice.

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 05:06 AM
almost had a glass crash incident today. he got a bit too excited about food and nailed the glass, hes fine and so is the tank though. he hit it pretty hard. lol

Nick89
10-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Yikes, glad everythings cool. Oscars+food=watch out lol.

Nick89
10-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Sorry, computer acted up.

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 05:21 AM
lol, mine goes NUTS over food. the pacu and convict will ram him for food

oscarfish21
10-26-2007, 08:09 PM
an oscar is no diffrent than any other animal when it comes to this just keep your wits about you and be aware of attitude and the type of enviroment the oscar is in at the time