PDA

View Full Version : will seachem flourish kill my shrimp?

genocidex
07-24-2012, 06:58 AM
in the main tank thats coming together i was told i should look into using some liquid ferts for my tank. but i will be adding shrimp (mainly as a live food) but i want them to be able to live until they either get eaten or die naturally. will a weekly does of that (4ml a bit lower than recommended) in a 55g kill off all the shrimp i put in?

is there another fert i could possibly use instead?

Goes to 11!
07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
I have Ghost and RCS that took no notice of weekly doses of Flourish Comprehensive if that is what you mean by 'Flourish' as they make more than one liquid fert.
:22:

genocidex
07-24-2012, 07:13 AM
i guess thats what it is... sorry f&s had is as just flourish.

Goes to 11!
07-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Umm.. It's the first word of the overview and it says 'Comprehensive' on the bottle, (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4652) You can quit guessing. :hmm3grin2orange:

mermaidwannabe
07-24-2012, 08:08 AM
I have used Flourish Comprehensive for many months, but only at a fraction of the label dosage, as my rhizome plants don't require much feeding, and the rooted plants get noncopper root tabs. I had RCS for many months, that were totally unaffected by these ferts. Only after I went on vacation for two weeks and the temperature in my tank shot up to 84F did I lose any, and the entire community seems to be gone. They thrived all the while I was using Flourish and the root tabs, however.

I see no danger in using Flourish Comprehensive, just be careful with the dosing. Don't go overboard.

Flourish Excel seems to be a different matter. I have read posts about certain species of fish being killed by that. I believe neons are sensitive to it.

Stick with the all-purpose Comprehensive and the needs of many of your plants will be met without harming anything else in the tank.

And -- if possible, keep your temperature stable.

-- mermaidwannabe