PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp instant death

Komar
01-03-2005, 01:48 PM
I like to keep Ghost Shrimp in my Betta tank to help keep it clean. Any given shrimp doesn't usually last too long, as the Betta eventually tries to eat it (which is really a ridiculous and gruesome sight; I got to see it once). I try keeping my largest shrimp with my Bettas to avoid losses.

Recently, I removed the air pump filter from my Betta tank and added a tiny submersible filter. I plugged my CO2 tube into the output jet, where an airline tube fits. This really helps the CO2 get absorbed, which is good for the plants. However, without any added oxygen to the water, except from the live plants, I suspect the shrimp can't survive. (The Betta seems fine, as it breathes from the surface anyway.)

There were two shrimp in the tank when I switched over the filtration system, and they were both dead by dawn. I added a new shrimp, and it died within 5 minutes or so. (It thrashed around too fast for me to rescue it in time.)

So, I suspect that the oxygen levels are too low for the shrimp. Any thoughts?

William
01-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Have you tested the other water conditions?

Komar
01-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Have you tested the other water conditions?

Uh, not yet. I keep forgetting to do so before doing a water change. I figure fresh water will "contaminate" the results, so I'd rather test aged aquarium water to get a better idea of the water quality.

Anonymous
01-07-2005, 09:33 PM
That's a good idea. Because even if the betta is doing well the water quality may have worsened over a long time which would have made the betta used to it but kills the shrimp that are transferred into it.

Komar
01-07-2005, 09:41 PM
I do change 20-50% of the water weekly, so I don't think it'll get that bad. I will most certainly test the water within the week. I've been making additions and modifications to this aquarium lately, so my cleaning routine is a bit of a mess at the moment...

(If anything, I've been changing the water more often than usual.)

killaklown
10-30-2005, 09:06 PM
We always change atleast 25% of the water every week, so try that to see if it would make a difference to the shrimp.

Good luck.

BIFIDA
05-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi, I am new to the site but, I am searching for the Bets species of Ghost Shrimp that goes with a Beta Fish. Does anyone have any ideas, as to which kind I should get, if any. I have tried the Opaque or "glass-like" kind and they only lived a few days. Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

rollie
05-12-2006, 07:49 PM
i keep ghost shrimps in with some of my fish. i had them to live over the year. the one i got you can see though.

BIFIDA
05-12-2006, 08:57 PM
rollie, Thank you so much for replying to me. If you knew the exact species of the Ghost Shrimp, that would REALLY help. Thank you so much again though for taking the time to try to help me. Sincerely, Dawn

rollie
05-12-2006, 09:19 PM
i do not know the exact species, but most pet shop sell them as feeder shrimp. they stay small.

William
05-13-2006, 03:44 AM
There are a number of different shrimp species refered to as Ghost shrimps, many of them belong to the genus Natantia.