PDA

View Full Version : pleco + koi fish?

guesswho
07-22-2012, 07:33 PM
I got a pleco in e petshop to put in a 10G aquarium but a had to put it in my other aquarium because I was told that he might had eaten my lost guppy.
now in the other aquarium he passes the whole day hiding between the filter(internal)and the glass.

are the koi biting him or something?:help:

I also have some siamese sharks in the aquarium.

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Pleco hide much of the time. They "require" driftwood for their diet, need a big tank because they grow to one foot. Not likely the sharks are bothering him.

I would get him some driftwood so he'll get away from that heater before he suffers burns.

Koi are pond fish and do not belong in fish tanks unless you have a monster tank.

Brhino
07-22-2012, 08:00 PM
siamese sharks (aka iridescent sharks) get just as big as koi. What size is this tank? Unless it's massive you have a impending disaster on your hands.

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Oh my gawd. What are you doing?

This is your 10 gallon?

10G ,6 tetras 3 molies 2 zebras 3 dwarf angelfish 6 guppy's 4 cardenal tetras 2 corydoras

There is no such a thing as dwarf angelfish.

guesswho
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
I have it in a 20G :(
The person in the petstore told me it was ok... now I don't know what to do with them thankgoodness they are still "small" 3 inches

about the dwarf angel fish :sorry that what I read in the pet store :(

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2012, 08:17 PM
The mininium for angel "might be" a 30 gallon and only if they are a mated pair. I have one in my 55 gallon and another in a different 55 gallon because they are both males. They are not angels and very dominating.

Gosh, one angel will grow to 6" and there's no way even without their attitude they can remain together. I would trade them in for more cardinals and corys. Sorry.

WhistlingBadger
07-22-2012, 10:57 PM
A recurring theme I've noticed: When someone is trying to sell you something, take their advice with a grain of salt. I've made some of the same mistakes, Guess. Hope you can get it sorted out.

But to answer your original question, my experience is that not many things will mess with a pleco. They are armor plated, mostly nocturnal, and most fish just treat them like part of the decor.

Tom

guesswho
07-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Ok gona do my best to find some bigger aquariums
thanks for the tips :)

guesswho
07-23-2012, 04:02 AM
where can I buy driftwood on the internet that doesn't use paypal but cerditcard or visa?

WhistlingBadger
07-23-2012, 04:12 AM
Your friendly neighborhood creek/pond would probably have some for free. I hear it works just fine; just boil it first to kill any critters involved. (there are threads about how to use found drift wood on this forum)

If you aren't feeling that adventurous, just google aquarium driftwood. Most aquarium supply sites take credit cards. I've never been able to bring myself to pay money for drift wood, but some of the stuff I've seen available online is really, really pretty!

T