PDA

View Full Version : Clown pleco diet

Acire84
07-21-2012, 01:32 AM
I bought some sinking algae wafers for my little clown pleco, but have yet to see him be brave enough to leave his hiding place to eat ANYTHING...I'm starting to think he's going to starve himself. Picking up some driftwood asap as I was told they require that. As far as algae goes though, will he eat any of it from the glass (there's not much there) or should I just get out the handy dandy glass scraper and take care of it myself?

Strider199
07-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Acire84 dont fret, my aquarium glass has never been scrapped and I have very little algae which I can see, in the tank. My Bulldog rubber lipped pleco would hide alot the first 2 months I had him but now he is out front and center.
Have you tried some blanched veggies held down by a rubber band around a rock or toothpicks?

Remember the pleco will work after lights out into the early morning.
I never used to see mine on an algae wafer until a few months ago. The wafer would be gone in the morning and the pleco looked content.

Try some zucchini or cucumber.

Cliff
07-21-2012, 11:17 PM
I get to see my clown pleco about once a month. As strider has stated, some of these guys only come out once the tank is very dark. Although it is very very rare for me to see my clown pleco eating, I know he must be eating as he looks very heathly when I do see him

Acire84
07-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Thank you, that makes me feel better! It's funny that a little while after I posted this question, he appeared out of nowhere, munched on a piece of a wafer for a second, and then was gone again in a split second! I'll be feeding him at night from now on :) And will definitely try the veggies, I bet my cory would feast on that too.