PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 3 tetras, want to put them with Betta

Vinnyt88
07-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Ok so I just bought 3 neon tetras and I want to put them with my betta in a 1 gallon aquascene tank. I have the bag sitting in the water and I notice the betta keeps going after the bag it looks like, I'm not sure if he is just interested in them. I'm just a little worried now to let the tetras in there, what should I do?

Goes to 11!
07-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Take them back, Don't even open the bag. [Yes, You read that right]

* Your 'tank' is not large enough for them or even your betta alone IMO.
* While you are there get a suitable 5g tank for your betta [Grab a heater also if you do not have one - It's a requirement for a betta {Tetras too}]
* You may have a massacre on your hands if you add them:
A. Bettas are a crap shoot at best wrt if they will accept company.
B. There is absolutely no room in that 'tank' for any escape if he is not feeling friendly.

I am presuming this 'tank' has a filter and hopefully it is cycled...
:22:

Vinnyt88
07-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Well bettas can live in less then a liter of water they sell tiny tanks for single bettas, but I was told by the people at petsmart( I also work there) it was ok even with the one gallon. And I just bought this tank I got it all set up on wednesday. So your saying I shouldn't even try it? What am I to do with the tetras for now? I have a bowl I could use but no decorations or gravel for it

Cliff
07-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Well bettas can live in less then a liter of water they sell tiny tanks for single bettas, but I was told by the people at petsmart( I also work there) it was ok even with the one gallon. And I just bought this tank I got it all set up on wednesday. So your saying I shouldn't even try it? What am I to do with the tetras for now? I have a bowl I could use but no decorations or gravel for it

WOW. Just another example of the importance of doing your own research first before getting fish. To say a betta can live in a liter of water is like saying a person can live in a 2 X 6 room. Both are certainly possible, but both can also be considered cruel. That certainly is a topic that can be debated a lot.

Do your best to keep the tetras comfortable until you can take them back to the store. The quicker you can return them, the less stressful the whole situation will be on them.

tiffykubi
07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Please take his advice and return the tetras. Yes a betta can surive in a 1gallon tank but over 3gallons is a much happier healthy environment for it. The betta may or may not tear the tetras to shreads but either way you don't have a big enough tank for the tetras.
There is a whole forum on betta's on this site and you will find alot of info there. Betta's are great fish, take good care of it!

Vinnyt88
07-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Alright I guess I'll take them back, what should I do with them i want to take the bag out of the betta tank so I can put the lid and light back on.

Vinnyt88
07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
I took the bag out of the tank n I have it sitting next to the tank, is it
ok for them to sit in the bag untill I return them tomorrow morning?

Lady Hobbs
07-20-2012, 07:15 PM
The oxygen in the bag will not last that long.

I don't understand why anyone with one gallon would be out buying fish at all. The betta's are only shipped in those small cups because they can't get along with others to ship them like others get shipped. Just because they are shipped in tiny containers doesn't mean that's what they live their life in.

This store probably has 10 Oscars in a 10 gallon tank, too. Again, only for selling purposes.

Vinnyt88
07-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Well like I said the people at petsmart said it should be ok, But do you think the tetras will die?

tiffykubi
07-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Take them back to the store now!! if you can...
1st mistake-not doing research before choosing tank and fish
2nd mistake- listening to petsmart employees

You're not off to the best start but as long as you learn from your mistakes and take actions to correct them you'll have healthy happy fish!!

Vinnyt88
07-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Well yeah I can't now but I work there so I'll be able to take them back at 6 in the morning. I messed up I know I wasn't going to buy it was pretty much an impulse buy. And yes I should of dome some research I told my self that too, and just bought them anyways. I just hope the tetras will be ok

kilyth
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
The tetras are unlikely to survive the night, imo. The bag they are in is unheated and unfiltered, there will soon be no oxygen left. You could put the tetras with the betta for the night, but 1) the betta could attack the tetras 2) the tetras could attack the betta (my rummynoses shredded my betta's fins, neons may be calmer) 3) without a proper quarentine period you risk exposing the betta to disease.

Three tetras isn't a good idea itself, they need at least 6, preferably more, to be happy. If I were you I'd put the tetras in with the betta and go back to the shop tomorrow to either return the tetras or pick up a 10 gallon tank with a good heater and filter and a bottle of jump start bacteria. You'd be cycling with fish, but it's the only option if you want to keep the fish. Looking at pictures of bettas in 1G tanks makes me want to cry; my fella has a 10g all to himself.

Azurescriber
07-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Yes those fish will die if you do not take them back NOW. They need heat and oxygen, not to mention they are producing waste from their bodies that will foul the water they are in.
** edit ok since you won't be returning them soon, you can either put them in the tank and hope for the best til morning when you return them, or keep changing out their water with new, Dechlorinated water as often as possible while you float the bag in the tank to keep it warm. Make sure the new water is the same temp.

Please consider a larger tank...3-5 gallons for the betta, with a heater and filter.

You have NO room for anything else in your tank. With a 5g you may be able to get shrimp or snails or an ADF, but they all have special requirements that you should research.

Why are you trusting the store's advice when you, as an employee, admit to not knowing these basic things about fishkeeping?

Tetras thrive in schools of 6 or more. 3 is not a school anyway. Your fish would be stressed and more likely to die of disease.

If you don't know what cycling means, please read the stickies...you will have a terrible time fishkeeping otherwise.

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2012, 07:50 PM
He wrote that thread 3 days ago so whatever has happened, has happened by now. He hasn't reported back so who knows?