PDA

View Full Version : Regarding forums rules. (please read)

William
06-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Due to some of the post made over the last few days I thought I post a few examples about what is okay to post and what is not:

"I don't like Sweden because of their position in the middle east" is okay to say.
"I don't like those fu**ing Swedes and their stupid opinions" is not

"I think American soldiers should withdraw from Irac since the auctions of the US in irac is causing suffering among civilian populations" is okay to say.
"The infidels and their beastly murderers shouldn’t be allowed to exist” is not

What I'm trying to say is that you can say just about anything s long as you do it in a civil manner including expressing critic against the US, Sweden, Israel or any other country.

And please make sure that any fact you post in a political thread is a fact that you actually can back up with facts. If you can’t you should express that it is your opinion or belief that you are expressing in your post.

Flaming peoples and nations will from now on be an offence that can result in banning. First time offenders will be warned while repeat offenders will be banned.

The same will be true for flaming members of these forums.

New moderators that will help me make sure that these rules are followed will be presented in the coming days.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions on this.

NorthernBoy
06-04-2006, 06:00 AM
I agree and think that if we all think a little before we start bashing each other and try to understand each others positions through empathy, mutual respect and non-violent words we can keep AC a fun and exciting place to visit and enjoy learning about each other and especially FISH! I for 1 have been visiting less...probably to the delight of others...because of the behaviors of both people I enjoy chatting with and people I have not yet to meet. I am sorry to critisize the site William, as I truly enjoy spending my time reading your articles, blog and fantastic new pictures but I have been avoiding the forum more because it has been less focused on the care for fish and more focused on political views. While these "opinions" have been focused in the chatterbox, they have now become spread across many threads. I have written a few comments that I am not proud of and I think that all people wishing to post should consider what the intentions of the posts are. Are they to injure, alienate or insult in anyway any other member or possibly non-member(who by the way may choose not to join because of political views). Are your views and opinions better left to yourself and not said. Are your posts fueling the opinions of others and giving them ammo to continue their behavior. I agree whole heartedly that we at AC should have a ZERO tolerance towards hatred and abusive language. Flaming is one thing...inappropriate, hurtful, and insensative comments about religion, race, nationality, sexuality have NO PLACE ON A FORUM ABOUT FISH! Those of us that are older need to remember that we also have younger members and our opinions are being heard by them as well as any visiter to this great site.
I will end with this quote by Ghandi.
Toleration is the only thing that will enable persons belonging to different religions to live as good neighbours and friends. MM-401

William
06-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Don't worry about critisizing the site. Without critic it is hard to improve it. I appriciate it.

I have been thinking about this problem for a while but it is hard to decide exactly how to solve it. It don't feel right to forbid political discussions in the chatterbox while it is a shame if threads as hey in some cases have develop into something they weren't meant to be.

Any suggestions on good solutions are appriciated.

rollie
06-04-2006, 01:07 PM
i do not like rules, but at times i guess we need them.
i try to treat everyone the same.
i do not mean to open up a can of worms here, but if your religion can not take a bit of bad mouthing, then maybe you need a new religion, one that can take it.

(i use thre word bad mouthing becauce i was not able to spell the word ,i should of use. it start with a cit---=?)

William
06-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I agree with you rollie. I have trid to keep the rules to a minimum but seems like might need some.

I have no intention to forbid people from critisizing a religion as long as it is done in a rationall manner.

NorthernBoy
06-05-2006, 10:30 PM
There is nothing wrong with questioning and/or critisizing all or a specific religion. Although there is something very wrong about mocking and/or berating somebodies personal beliefs. I am not saying that jokes or joviality are unacceptable because I enjoy comedy greatly. And as far as Rollie's statement of...

but if your religion can not take a bit of bad mouthing, then maybe you need a new religion, one that can take it.

I think, Rollie, that some of the comments about Jews made on this forum are extremely inappropiate!!! Bad mouthing is one thing. What I have read is another. Neither am I Jewish, nor am I from Isreal, but I thought AC was I site that was trying to grow and by condoning this offensive behavior(even if it is opinion) I think is wrong and will keep some people from joining. Remember when people search the web the get portions of threads on the link. Are these the threads we want showing about AC on Google? BTW I am a Irish Catholic and I can take the jokes and religion bad-mouthing with the best of em. In fact I usually laugh loudest. But some people are much more sensitive than I and we need to try to use some empathy towards this people because they may be are next member.

DemonShark
06-05-2006, 10:34 PM
How about we make this like an agreement sheet put your name here so you dont offend someone but mean well and from now one dont make offensive talking. Sorry i started this whole thing and didnt mean too.....

NorthernBoy
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
DemonShark there is no need to apolagize. I truely believe that these are "hot" topics and are both fun to discuss but at times can be uncomfortable. Sometimes we need to decide whether it is worth fighting with somebody that is going to contilnue to spout hate. I don't think you did anything wrong. People "react" that what we do when fired up. I just think we need to be careful how far we let people take it. Talking about religion, differences in religion and why we may or may not like religion is great. Don't worry you're still tops in my book Demonshark!

DemonShark
06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks still feel guilty tho.......

hey you still havent joined my site lol Ill get you someday!

NorthernBoy
06-05-2006, 10:49 PM
LOL. That's a normal human feeling too. It's good to fell guilty about the times you disappoint others that are important to you. It means you actually care. That is not a bad thing.

rollie
06-05-2006, 10:52 PM
i am not a jew but if anyone come on my forum and bad mouth them. they will be gone. the jews is GOD peoples. to bad mouth them is a same as bad mouthing GOD. it worse in my mind. oh i know they will be some fun because of this post.

DemonShark
06-05-2006, 10:53 PM
O ok thanks for caring bout me!

ps. If i need counseling forget those school ones im going to you northernboy lol

NorthernBoy
06-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Well you're not getting a hug or anything! lol.

DemonShark
06-05-2006, 11:02 PM
What im not???? O that it back to the school !

NorthernBoy
06-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Maybe from LindsAy...You said she's like your mom.

DemonShark
06-05-2006, 11:10 PM
lol I meant shes carring and soft like you!

rollie
06-05-2006, 11:15 PM
SHE GOT HER EYE ON SOMEONE AND IT NOT ME!!! WATCH YOURSELF. HAHA HA

DemonShark
06-05-2006, 11:17 PM
ME?Naw none likes me

rollie
06-05-2006, 11:25 PM
DON"T be so hard on yourself. demonshark.

NorthernBoy
06-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Lets take this to another thread....I'll start it.

DemonShark
06-05-2006, 11:58 PM
lol

William
06-06-2006, 03:03 AM
I agree, You are to hard on yourself Alex (DemonShark)

Rollie I agree that the comments that were made about the jews were completely out of line and they are the reason for this thread. I am talking to new mods to be able to remove such posts quicker if they are ever made again.

And as stated people who make repeats post like those will from now on be banned.

rollie
06-06-2006, 09:16 AM
i think LindsayD would make a good moderator. she seem to have a good head on her .(i mean she seem to have some brains) the only think is , she do not have a computer at home. this is just my 2 cent worth!!

Lindsay_D
06-07-2006, 11:45 AM
thanks rollie...and you better not say who i CARE about!!! cause then i'll have to punish you....

rollie
06-07-2006, 12:26 PM
oh my,you do not want a woman mad at you. i will not say.

Lindsay_D
06-07-2006, 12:29 PM
you always make me laugh...but i don't know that much about fish...i only know a few things and stuff about water quality...i'm no where near as smart as you guys when it comes to it...if i would be a mod it would only be of chatterbox....cause i know the rules and try to make sure that no one fights....thats just a common courtsy anyways

rollie
06-07-2006, 12:38 PM
demonshark would like to be moderator of chatterbox, i think. not sure.

Lindsay_D
06-07-2006, 12:40 PM
rollie...are you using dial up right now...cause your really really slow....no offense

rollie
06-07-2006, 12:48 PM
yes i am. that the only think i can get here.

Lindsay_D
06-07-2006, 12:54 PM
i'm sorry...

rollie
06-07-2006, 12:57 PM
yeah, so am i.

DemonShark
06-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Yes Yes chatterbox for me cause I chatter and (lol look at this like im running for class presisdents...) if im mod of chatterbox their will be no abusement nor anthing offensive and ill try to keep it fun!

ps:Im sad arent I?

William
06-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Demonshark, full3R and Northerboy are now mods in chatterbox.

DemonShark
06-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Yay! celebrate lol

NorthernBoy
06-07-2006, 09:00 PM
ty William. Its an honor.

DemonShark
06-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes it is thank you!

Lindsay_D
06-08-2006, 11:54 AM
great job guys