PDA

View Full Version : Cannot stress this enough

es31710
07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Pleco's belong in 20 gallon or larger tanks!!! I cannot stress this enough. So many people come on here and say can I keep a pleco in a ten gallon. The answer will be no. Please read up on pleco's before buying them. I hear people say all the time the Standard length for a Bristlenose is 4-5 inches. Which in reality it should be 6-7 inches. Please research if you want a pleco. :22:

The 20 gallon mentioned above is NOT for common pleco's that are the most available. This only applies to the small variety. Commons do best in 75+ gallons.

Zander
07-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I work at Petsmart and I see this maybe 5 times a day. I motion with my hands how big a common pleco gets. I tell them that their 3 inch pleco could possibly double in size in 3-6 months. And that when it does get that big, they'll either need a bigger tank or they should go on craigslist and give it away to someone with a bigger tank.

At least a third of them still walk out with one. My only silver lining is that I talked them down from getting three.

MCHRKiller
07-18-2012, 08:03 PM
There are very small pleco species...the Emperor, Candy, Clown, etc all being great choices. BN males do I agree hit 5-6" females tho rarely tip over 4". Still too much for a 10G or even 20G. Otos are much better choices for small tanks.

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I couldn't even put corys in 20 gallons.

Acire84
07-20-2012, 04:14 AM
I was advised at the pet store yesterday that the clown pleco will only reach around 4"... I'm hoping this is accurate? I have a 29g tank. Not in direct sunlight obviously but the surfaces have started to collect a little algae so I want something in there that will snack on it. Actually I hope he has enough to eat, I'll probably have to throw a couple algae wafers in there. I'm wondering if I made a bad choice as I also purchased a YoYo loach that from what I was told could reach that size or even bigger? Both the clown pleco and the loach are only about 2 inches long or less right now. Epic fishbuying fail?

MCHRKiller
07-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Clown plecos need driftwood in the tank, the vast majority of their diet comes from rasping wood. YoYo loaches need to be in a group...and IMO a 29G is not large enough for them as they reach 6" and need a 4ft tank. The Clown Pleco will only grow to 4".

Acire84
07-20-2012, 04:38 AM
Thank you for the response. When I started looking at my tank more today and reading up on the pleco and loach, it looks like I did make a mistake getting those 2. I don't have driftwood for the pleco. I'm not really against driftwood, I'm just unsure whenever adding natural stuff to my tank (how stupid does that sound?!) The last time I added real plants (that I thought I washed well), I got an invasion of snails. Makes me nervous. So besides some natural lava rock that I forced myself to put in there, everything else is man-made.
As far as the loach goes, I LOVE him. But I can't see keeping a fish that while cute and small now will get that big. Hitting myself now for making an impulse purchase on the advice of the pet store dude. I know better. And now I have to see if they'll take them back. I know I don't have the receipt. I wonder if my local fish guy will take them... there goes $20 and 2 cool fish! Ugh :(

MCHRKiller
07-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Driftwood is safer than painted resin based stuff. You can boil driftwood...removes most tannins and anything nasty. Do buy wood intended for aquarium use if you want to be extra cautious. The snails incident is very common, you can avoid that in the future by soaking the plants for a brief time in potassium permanganate. It kills snails, bacteria, and most algae. Do wear gloves with it as it will stain anything it touches. No need to ditch the pleco...just buy him a piece of wood :hmm3grin2orange:

Their are loaches intended for your tank size, dwarf zebra hovering loaches are an excellent option. As are kuhli loaches.

Acire84
07-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks, maybe I'll look into getting some driftwood this weekend if I decide to keep the pleco. I don't ever SEE him! He hides in the lava rock caves. I'm really sad about the yoyo loach though. He is all over the tank and just fun to watch, not to mention beautiful. Ah well, it happens I guess. Learning experience. :(

wijnands
07-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Anyone selling clowloaches should display this:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/images/downloadable-posters/ClownLoachPoster.JPG/image_large

I just bought three"plecos" for my 70 liter tank. Did my research and found Ancistrus Claro, the smallest bristlenose I could get. 70mm fully grown. Even though it's heavily planted and has plenty of shelter I quite often see at least one.

Lady Hobbs
07-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Snails do not come from the driftwood. The wood you purchase is processed in factories. The snails you may get would come in on the plants. They hang out on the wood but the wood isn't what caused them.

MCHRKiller
07-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Besides you could also boil the crap out of the wood and kill any snails anyway :hmm3grin2orange:

Acire84
07-21-2012, 01:02 AM
I looked for some driftwood at LFS today, didn't see much of anything there, and nothing that would fit in my tank. Will have to check another store tomorrow, and then I will boil it lol

Amadaca
07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Do BN Plecs need a shoal?

Goes to 11!
07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Do BN Plecs need a shoal?
No, But given enough tank they don't usually mind company.

Amadaca
07-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Im guessing a 3'+ tank would be enough for two (sharing the bottom with only five Kuhlis).

MCHRKiller
07-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Yes, I would go for a male and female or two females. You would have more aggression from two males.