PDA

View Full Version : Angel scattering eggs?

crackatinny
09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
One of our angels seems to be laying eggs from a red thing protruding from her bottom, as she is doing this the other angel (we only have 2) is eating them, I thought they was meant to stick to a surface in the tank, also, the area they have been cleaning the past 2 days in the corner of the tank, well the male keeps rubbing his belly up along that area, the female still picking at the area..

Is this behaviour odd?

The wife just yelled out some stuck to the wall, but the female picked them off and spat them out.

Dave66
09-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Females do that when they are egg bound, and there's no mate for them. The red thing is her ovipositer.

Dave

crackatinny
09-14-2007, 08:20 AM
UPDATE

Some have successfully stuck to the wall, I managed to get a video and will put it on youtube as soon as I sort it out.

crackatinny
09-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Here is a pic of the eggs with both angels, the white one layed them, can anyone tell from the pics if in fact is is a pair, or do I have a brokeback mountain thing happening in my aquarium?

Dave66
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Crack,
Still awake. The eggs are infertle, means there's no male around for her. White one is most definately a girl, the silver one in the background also looks like a female.

Dave

crackatinny
09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks dave, these two are inseperable, it's a wonder if they are both female that they don't fight.

Is it the colour of the eggs that indicates there fertility?

Also, if they are both female, would 1 male be a good addition

genitor
09-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Crack,
Still awake. The eggs are infertle, means there's no male around for her. White one is most definately a girl, the silver one in the background also looks like a female.

Dave
The white one looks like a female judging from the size of the ovipositer but how can you tell the silver one is a female?

crackatinny
09-14-2007, 11:25 AM
At the time Genitor, the other one was showing a ovipositer as well, but not near as long or swollen, and now, a few hrs later, they are both gone, the white one still has swelling where this protruded, but the silver mystery one, has no sign it was ever there.

genitor
09-14-2007, 11:59 AM
The male ovipositer is smaller and more pointy than the female's. The female's is thick and blunt looking. It sounds like you have a pair. If it's their first time spawning it might just be beginner problems. Hope they do better next time.

crackatinny
09-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks Genitor, all advice is welcome here, beginner, intermediate or expert.

To us it actually looked like the silver was instructing the white in what should be done, as after a while, the white started rubbing against the tank and leaving eggs.

We ended up getting a video of part of the the egglaying, and I will put on youtube overnight (due to the upload time), I will also see if William can somehow host this Video directly on here, as even if infertile, it was a fascinating thing to watch.

MeganL3985
09-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow....Can't wait to see it, sounds awesome! :)

Dave66
09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
The white one looks like a female judging from the size of the ovipositer but how can you tell the silver one is a female?

Body shape, genitor. Females are heavier bodied and their markings are a shade less distinct.

Dave

Dave66
09-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks dave, these two are inseperable, it's a wonder if they are both female that they don't fight.

Is it the colour of the eggs that indicates there fertility?

Also, if they are both female, would 1 male be a good addition

Crack,
If the were fertile, they would be a clear amber color, not white. White indicates infertility and eventually fungus.

Dave

tropfish
09-14-2007, 06:11 PM
even if they're infertile i still wanna see the vid, sounds awesome.

MeganL3985
09-14-2007, 08:45 PM
me too!! :)

~Erik3.8.07~
09-14-2007, 09:07 PM
same here, ive never actually seen a fish laying eggs before

Lady Hobbs
09-14-2007, 10:50 PM
The male has a pointed projection. The female is flat and blunt about like the end of a ballpoint pen. It's actually the only way to sex them. I have males that were purchased at the same time and some are very large and others small. Just depends on their growth rate. My wild silvers are also much larger than my domestics. Depending on the site, some say males are larger and others that females are larger. I find it depends on the fish.

I have noticed in all cases with my angels, the male has a sharper line from his nose to his head where the female has a gentler sloop upward.

The male and female will both take practice runs several times and it may take him hours to fertilize.

Some may disagree on this nose shape but all 5 of my males, they definately have the sharper nose but you really have to look for it.

William
09-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Just to add some additional info even though I am no good at sexing angels.

It is common for angelfish to be poor parents their first few breeding attempts. They might as an example scatter most of the eggs instead of attaching them correctly as in this case.

Based on the pictures the eggs seems a litle to light and looks infertile but it is hard to say for sure as egg color can vary and they might have darkened after the picture was taking.

Angelfish will as dave pointed out breed even if no males are present but this will of course not generate any fry. The females wil often guard and care for the infertile eggs that never hatches.

Lady Hobbs
09-15-2007, 12:45 PM
If you actually have two that get along, I wouldn't add another or problems will start. Heck, you could add 6 more and not be sure until mating time you had a male.

The eggs are clear when they lay them and turn white as they die. I can always tell when mine are getting ready to spawn as they pick an area and clean it for days and get more aggressive to others in the tank.

I'm under the opinion your marble is a male only because she is allowing him (?) to be so near those eggs but your angels might be a lot more friendly than mine are.

crackatinny
09-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies, by morning the eggs was gone, but they are still protecting the area more than 24hrs since they disapeared.

I will get the video up on the web, just having trouble uploading it.