PDA

View Full Version : Red Devils

TXCichlid
09-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Ok, so heres the scoop. I've decided to go with a Red Devil. I plan on putting one in a 55 gallon tank with some type of canister filter (any good canister filters, let me know) and i plan on doing the gravel vaccum once a week. Now for someone who has owned a Red Devil could you give me some advice on how to keep one, and keep one growing at a good rate? I want this fish to get to its full size. What type of tank setup do they like? Any tank mates?? And when i'm buying one, what should i look for? If you have any additional Information, that would be great.

cocoa_pleco
09-14-2007, 02:30 AM
i think theyre too small for a 55g

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/RedDevil.php

TXCichlid
09-14-2007, 02:34 AM
it says they can be kept in a 50 gallon.

cocoa_pleco
09-14-2007, 02:47 AM
woah, sorry about that, i hit a wrong profile on badmans tropical fish on red devils.

yes, they are fine in 50g's. i would say go for a good canister. i recommend a fluval 305 or 405. theyre cheap and very efficient. mine have never quit on me and they require little maintenece, and make 0 noise.

TXCichlid
09-14-2007, 02:50 AM
nice, only thing i dont like about the red devils is that their colors change like sometimes white. any reason for that?

cocoa_pleco
09-14-2007, 02:54 AM
i dont exactly know, but a guess is stress or ready to breed. fishguy will know for sure

deckard_wa
09-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Hi,

A 55 minimum should be ok for most Red Devils. Just hope you don't get one of the ones that reach 16"..........some do. For filtration I would go with a Fluval 405 and an AC110. You need lots of filtration because RDs need lots of protein in their diet which can foul up water, and also because their constant digging is going to kick up whatever the filters initially missed.

To keep them growing at a good rate really only two things are required. Firstly and most importantly is good clean water, I always do 50% pwc per week on my RDs. Secondly, they need plenty of good quality food that is high in protein. How you acheive that is up to you, but most people choose a good quality pellet such as hikkari bio gold+ or omega one or something like that, and feed them that 80% of the time. The rest of the time you can give them treats like beef heart meals, frozen cichlid dinner etc, whatever is available in your area. If you aren't too squemish, properly raised and quarantined feeder fish or yabbies also seem to give them a boost.

As for keeping them happy. I always give them plenty of hiding places when they are young, as they seem nervous as juvies and the hidey holes give them confidence and they come out more. You quite often have to remove these as they get bigger and in a 55 you don't have much room so you almost certainly would. I also like to give them about an inch and a half of gravel to move around.

As for colour............ Rds change colour several times as they are growing, I've always just thought it's the way things are, you never know what you're going to end up with! Maybe, they need to look a certain way at certain stages in their development to help ensure survival

One word of warning, do not use any rocks or decor that are heavy as the RDs constant gravel moving could undermine an object and send it crashing through the glass

TXCichlid
09-16-2007, 03:14 AM
thanks deckard_wa. I really would like a fish like this but my only problem is. Why they turn white or have patches??? why cant they be orange like when they are little? You have any pictures of your tank with the red devils? id like to see them.

deckard_wa
09-16-2007, 07:20 AM
I don't have a camera right now, but i may have some pics on my comp that I had already taken. I'll have a look when i go home

Sometimes they do stay orange.Sometimes they don't. I think that's absolutely fascinating. My first RD, when I took him home, my wife said I had been ripped off and been given a Firemouth, which he really looked like for a few months, then went bright orange and stayed that way. Each to their own and all but I actually prefer the ones that have patches of different colour.

deckard_wa
09-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Come to think of it though.......I haven't seen any change from orange to white, seen plenty go the other way

crackatinny
09-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Ours (in avater), was white when we got it at under an inche, and has stayed the same colour throughout, it is now about 8.5 inches.

TXCichlid
09-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Ok, well i definitely want a red devil. Now how would i go about setting up a red devil tank? Its only going to 1 in the tank 55 gallon. and how can you tell if they are a red devil or midas at a young age?? (it just hit me, i posted this thread in the wrong section oops)

crackatinny
09-20-2007, 08:20 AM
As with all big cichlids good filtration is a must, as far as decor, I have logs, a large cave, and some fake plants in my tank, mine loves to sleep under the logs and the cave, a pic of my setup is in TOTM thread, I have found with mine also, he loves to mound the gravel up, and move the plants around.

Don't know about the 55G, RDs grow as big as oscars, and people usually recomend 75G for oscars.

Our Red Devil is a big baby, but our local chinese shop has one, and the other night I put my finger on the glass and he attacked it (hit the glass quite hard to) I put this difference in behavior between him and ours down to tank size, the one at the chinese has always been in a small tank.