PDA

View Full Version : Did they spawn?

Incredulous_Ed
09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
This morning my female convict was especially colorful, and as usual she rushed up to the front of the tank for food. I fed her and the male some flakes. Now she is n front of the cave and doesn't rush up to frontt anymore, and she chases the male around if he gets close. I don't see any eggs yet.

cocoa_pleco
09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
hmm, when i noticed my convict eggs the white convict was fighting with the oscar. i tried to separate them, so i moved the driftwood to catch the convict then i saw the eggs. yours sound like they spawned

Incredulous_Ed
09-13-2007, 08:47 PM
hopefully. we'll see though

Incredulous_Ed
09-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Yup, they spawned. I saw the eggs. If they hatch I'm sending you a cigar CP. Anyway, anyone have any tips on raising the fry?

cocoa_pleco
09-14-2007, 03:51 AM
just keep the water clean and let the parents do their job.

Arkie
09-14-2007, 08:35 AM
good luck with the fry, keep us updated. im trying to find a mate for my lonely female convict so id love to hear how yours are going. that way i know what to look for :thumb:

crackatinny
09-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Good on ya Ed, in a few days you will have a swarm like little insects.

I left both lots of mine with the parents and fed very finely crushed flake, they went well.

What are you going to do with them, I swapped 1 lot of mine for 10 peacock fry, and the other lot for a pair of brstlenoses.

tropfish
09-14-2007, 12:21 PM
congrats ed! Good job. We need pics as soon as they hatch!

Incredulous_Ed
09-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Well, I haven't been able to see the eggs for today and yesterday. While I was changing the water I even lifted the top part of the cave to see if there was any, but alas, I didn't see anything. The female still guards the cave and chases the male, but I can't see any eggs at all. The female comes out once in a while to grab food though. So I think she ate the eggs, but I'm unsure. How long lon does it take for the fry to be free swimming anyawy?

Hailey
09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
awesome, congrats! when mine layed eggs i never even got to see them, then one day i looked and where some of the gravel was moved away from under thier cave i saw them.
That day they were swimming around. Thier about 6 weeks old now and I think thier all pretty healthy and have grown big. Just feed then powdered flakes about a day after they start swimming around (unless you buy fry food) and they should do fine. I'll try to put some pics up of what they look like now.

Hailey
09-19-2007, 10:00 PM
oh well i would give them about 3-5 days to see them free swimming. If you don't see them after 6 I would say she might of ate them. But even if she did, they should spawn again in about a month.

Incredulous_Ed
09-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Ok, the fry aren't free swimming yet, the female is still in her cave with dark colors, chasing the male, and I haven't seen any eggs or, "wigglers." Now what?

crackatinny
09-20-2007, 11:00 PM
If this is there 1st batch, you may have lot them, but they will soon spawn again.

Incredulous_Ed
09-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, I removed the rcks and saw the fry, they are still wriggling. All I can say is, man, do convict bites hurt!