PDA

View Full Version : Why are some people sooooo dumb?

Lady Hobbs
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
I mentioned my neighbor before that has that nice 55 tall fish tank and mentioned his fish dying for the last 5 years because he didn't use dechlorinator. He could never get a cycle with chlorine in the tank.

Hello! Wouldn't a person wonder after a few years why all his fish died over and over again?

So, I write out all the instructions on how to do a fishless cycle. I wrote it like a 6 year old would understand and I give him the ammonia, the test kit and the test charts to use so he can cycle his fish. Also the dechlorinator. I wanted to give him a couple of my angels actually so giving him the stuff was of no concern.

He knocks on my door this morning to get a couple angels and I ask him was his tank cycled. He says "I dumped ammonia in once and all the tests are now 0."

I give up and he is NOT getting any of my angels!!!!!!!! Here we are a month later and he has not even begun to understand how to cycle a fishtank and that adding ammonia one time did nothing.

He is 50 years old and dummer than a box of rocks. You may as well hit your fish in the head with a hammer than give them to him.

jeffs99dime
09-13-2007, 04:20 PM
your neighbor sounds like a real winner. lol

Algenco
09-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Hobb's can't you see what going on? Maybe he wants you to come over daily to "check" on his tank:l29:

2manyfish
09-13-2007, 06:17 PM
"Hobbs has got a boyfriend, Hobbs has got a boyfriend....."

cocoa_pleco
09-13-2007, 08:32 PM

lol, pwned!

tropfish
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM

hahahaha good one.

MeganL3985
09-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Lmao!! Awe Hobbs! ;) hehehehe

Lady Hobbs
09-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Even in my good days I didn't bother with people that stupid. :)

Drumachine09
09-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I do belive you have discovered a lost cause.

Nick_Pavlovski
09-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Some people can't handle it when things don't correspond with how they think things should be.
And they can't ever get over it, either.

AquaQueen
09-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Man Hobbs, I guess this guy is not worthy of your kindness, and maybe you should just not bother with him anymore...he seems to drive you as crazy as your Angels do and you dont even love him...lol What's the Point? You are very generous to have tried to help him and he should have taken the help and learned from it and instead he basically spit back in your face by telling you his idiotic move of dumping ammonia in one time then thinking that was going to fix all of his "Tank Problems"!! You know I am really wishing I was your neighbor, just to help ease your mind, also to have a wonderful neighbor like you next door would be an Honor and a great benefit, we could have Coffee/Tea and talk fish all the time...lol :hmm3grin2orange:

On a serious note, I do understand how you feel with wanting to help someone learn the correct way to care for fish...I have tried to help my Mom, she gave up because she couldn't do the water changes anymore. I tried to help my SIL when she was having water problems because of two reasons leaving lights on all day/night and then she NEVER did a water change. After a year the water smelled so bad...and she had like 10,000 guppy's and 4 silver dollars and claims she the only loss she had was a pleco...Imagine? My SIL has saved her tank of fish and has also been able to add more because she got rid of all of her guppy's and now knows alot more on how to care for fish luckily. Then the best one ever for me was my friend, whom I had helped set up her tank. Then we had a disagreement and didn't talk for almost 2 1/2 yrs, well the dork(my friend), had her tank up and running the whole time she did her water changes, treated & tested the water like we taught her. Some people must need picture maps on how to do everything because this girls tank had this layer of fungus like I had never seen before in my life!! Over the Whole Floor of the Tank!! When I asked her the last time she Vacuumed the gravel, she asked me if I was Crazy...and said "I am not going to stick my vacuum in the tank and get electrocuted stupid!" I was LMAO then told her what it meant & why she had to do it, she was totally grossed out...lol...because she told me she would stick her hands in it and mix it all around when she cleaned the tank. She played with "Fuzzy Crap"...hahaha!:hmm3grin2orange: My friend ended up loosing all of her fish because she never kept up with vacuuming the gravel. Even after I went and bought her a gravel-vac!! My whole point of telling you all of this is, even though you help or think you helped someone, doesn't mean they will get it or even do it.... Some people are just naturally idiotic and most are incapable of understanding the normal way of thinking and IMO they are waste of a mankind. You shouldn't bother trying to help him anymore. He'll never get it and you'll go crazy trying to make him get it.

Incredulous_Ed
09-14-2007, 03:40 AM
heh, forget about that guy. If he's so dumb not to listen to your advice the first time, why would he now?

*Sarah*
09-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Hobbs, I go almost mental trying to teach people how to properly care for their pets. Fish, dogs, cats, hell even rodents and lizards, if I haven't owned them I've researched them. People either care or they don't I find, and the ones that don't are too stubborn to give a crap. Like talking to a brick wall.

Incredulous_Ed
09-14-2007, 03:44 AM
heh, I usually don't give people any advice on their pets unless they act. People get mad at me when I give them advice.

Rue
09-14-2007, 03:52 AM
...some people just don't get it...and other people don't want to get it...

But at least you tried...

BTW...i think he wants a date with you too! :18:

crackatinny
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Hobbs, if he is that dumb, look on the bright side, he could be easy to train:ezpi_wink1:

Have you ever heard a song by comedian Bill Engvall, if not, try to get hold of it, in the meantime, here is a link to the lyrics, I reckon your freind could get a whole verse to himself in this song:ezpi_wink1:
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/engvall-bill/heres-your-sign-get-the-picture-5978.html

Bodhi
09-14-2007, 08:42 PM
You could always convince homeboy that fishkeeping is "too hard", then offer to take the tank off his hands once he gets sick of staring at it. You'd be doing five more years worth of fish a MAJOR favor.

*Sarah*
09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
You could always convince homeboy that fishkeeping is "too hard", then offer to take the tank off his hands once he gets sick of staring at it. You'd be doing five more years worth of fish a MAJOR favor.

GOOD ideathumbs2:

Bodhi
09-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Thank you. I'm here all week.

:22:

cocoa_pleco
09-15-2007, 04:32 AM
actually, yeah, good idea. hobbs, if mr. doesntthink wants to ditch the tank offer to take it.

Scorpion
09-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Of course, if you want to help him, but he wont take 'your' advice for fear of feeling/looking stupid (some guys are like that, me included), you could always send him to this website I know of. Great place for learning about fish tank cycles etc...wait, where is it now, hmm...oh yes, here it is! http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/

:hmm3grin2orange: :ezpi_wink1:

Lady Hobbs
09-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone. And NO, NO, NO I am not charmed by him! After 30 years of being alone, picking up some idiot is not somewhere I'm going. I wouldn't let him near my tanks.

I have offered to buy his tank but he wants to keep it. Wants to sit and look at the water I guess.....green as it is.

And yes, I am done with him. Anymore time spent is just blowing hot air at him as he does not get it. He has got to just be incredibly lazy to allow his fish to keep dying. We all know these kind of people, don't we? Get a fish tank, fill it full of fish then do nothing and think it will magically take care of itself.

My only reason to try to help him was I thought his nice tank would be a good home for a couple of my angels. But that was when I thought he was a normal person. LOL

I'm over it.

MeganL3985
09-17-2007, 02:47 PM
People like that just drive me nuts.....I hope his equipment breaks (when he has no fish in it) and he's too lazy to get new stuff....then maybe he'll keep his paws out of the hobby. He can turn it into an indoor flower box or something....lol

zackish
09-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Hobbs he probably sees that it frustrates you and you really want the tank but he is just really immature and keeping it now just to make you angrier. It is like little kids keeping stuff from their friends or siblings just to keep them annoyed....some poeple just never grow up.

Lady Hobbs
09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I don't care if he has a tank or not. He asked me why all his fish die and I told him and tried to help him out of his dilemma. I think if I had a quick answer that would have solved his problem it would have been fine but this called for a bit of effort and he wasn't up to the challenge.

For 5 years he has never used a dechlorinator so how hard was he trying to learn. :)

*Sarah*
09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I have a new answer to the question "why are people so dumb?"
It's because they have children, and children make you MENTALLY INSANE.
Mine are pushing me over the loony edge today.

zackish
09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't care if he has a tank or not. He asked me why all his fish die and I told him and tried to help him out of his dilemma. I think if I had a quick answer that would have solved his problem it would have been fine but this called for a bit of effort and he wasn't up to the challenge.

For 5 years he has never used a dechlorinator so how hard was he trying to learn. :)

Men don't like to listen to women hahaha...
Actually in my anthropology class we are studying how men and women's styles of communication are different and stuff.
From what I understand about how we work as humans if a man were to tell him his problem he would probably justify the situation as said.
Nothing you did wrong Hobbs, just the way the human genders have developed.
I feel kind of smart applying what I have learned so far here at college haha

Rue
09-17-2007, 07:01 PM
...make sure you fully memorize and understand Rule Number 1 though...

"Women are ALWAYS right"...:19:

MeganL3985
09-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Being stupid isn't a communication barrier....lmao ;)

zackish
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
I didn't say it was, but I would be willing to bet a lot of men would react the same way if a women told them what to do.
Set the fish tanks aside and just use another example.
Men don't like to be in the "one-down" posistion.
A good example of this would be why men don't ask for directions. It makes them then feel like they are lost and in a "one-down" posistion. I know I don't ask for directions when I am lost. I use the excuse of just wanting to drive around to get to know the area a little better. Just so happens to be a study that was conducted on that many men said the exact same thing.

MeganL3985
09-18-2007, 12:25 AM
I understand that....I was jus messin with ya. lol :)

jaymz
09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
5 years with out a dechlorinator!! How is that possible especially when you are wondering why your fish are dying!!!! :confused:

Lady Hobbs
09-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Crazy isn't it? His tank never cycled in all this time. He took the record for the longest uncycled tank in history.