PDA

View Full Version : I hope it is not columnaris!

Shootemz
07-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Hello, I'm new here and to fish keeping. I have a 15 gallon tank and 6 long finned red minor tetras. i have had 3 for a month, and have gotton the other three a week ago. one of them seems to have something on its lip and is hanging off. i will post a pic, but my camera is bad. i will do a test of ph and amonia, but i recently added prime so it might be skewed.

https://p.twimg.com/Axk6m8bCMAENMjA.jpg:large

and

https://p.twimg.com/Axk6xBECQAAXWzX.jpg:large

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Is there some reason I have to stand on my head to see the photos? LOL

Your fish probably has mouth fungus.
Prime will not mess up the tests results.

Shootemz
07-12-2012, 04:51 AM
Is there some reason I have to stand on my head to see the photos? LOL
Twitter doesn't like my pictures i guess. I think i lost my test tube thingy let me see if i can find it.

Shootemz
07-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Tests say 6.9 ph or so, and very little ammonia.

Shootemz
07-12-2012, 04:58 AM
If you can could you link me to some picture for fungus and columnaris? I have done a few searches, but all seem to be late stages or not showing the mouth.

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Well lookie here. I wrote: "Pictures of mouth fungus on fish" in Google.

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=Pictures+of+mouth+fungus+on+fish&btnK=Google+Search

It could be either one. Mouth fungus is not all that uncommon. I've used fungal medications on it before and it worked well.

Shootemz
07-12-2012, 05:46 AM
It kind of looks like that but not that much, I think he scraped himself or something, I did get one that was pretty beaten up, I don't have any money so any extra chems is out of the question.I did add a it more prime, some more salt, and lowered the temp, just in case if it was bacterial.

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Ya, like ya say. Pictures are generally advanced cases. He might have gotten his mouth bit by another fish, too,

Shootemz
07-12-2012, 06:09 AM
I really hope so, this'll be the 3 time in all my try's that fish die ifthey do.

Shootemz
07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Woke up. tested the water, ph spiked to about 7.3, ammonia is around .25, i don't have a nitrate test. The fish only looks slightly better, where the skin isn't hanging off, but i can still see it. temp is now 78 fahrenheit, (26 celsius), I lowered it last night in fear of fungus (if it is) from spreading and getting bigger. More salt last night.
melancholy :/

Cermet
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Not an expert on treating fish but I do know that fungus prefers lower temperatures - a higher temperature works against fungus on two levels:

First, fungus do poorly at elevated temperatures
Second, a fish's immune system operates better at higher temperature

The temp in the tank should be at the highest end of the safe range for the fish.

Also, at extra air for the fish - higher water temperatures hold less oxygen.

Hope the fish gets better :11:

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2012, 03:16 PM
pH spiked to 7.3? That is about as perfect pH as you can get. But pH is never solid in an uncycled tank and can change according to ammonia levels. The fish need those regular water changes if you are cycling with them. You need to not allow the ammonia to go over .25 and adding an airstone during the cycling period will help them tolerate it more.

Don't drop the heat too much as the heat aids in the cyling process, as well.

Shootemz
07-15-2012, 05:42 PM
It seems fine, it hasn't gotten worse or spread to other fish, i think if it was some sort of mouth rot, it would have gotten bigger and took it' entire mouth by now, thanks for the help you guys.