PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell what kind of fish this is?

sunshine9
07-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Hi,
We recently purchased a house with a small pond with 6 goldfish. We had it professionally cleaned and got the filtration fixed so it is appropriate for the size of the pond. I can finally see my fish! They are soo beautiful. 5 seem to be various colored comet goldfish. But I can't figure out what kind of goldfish this other fish is. He is black which almost shimmers blue/purple in the sun. His belly may be a tan color. His fins are shaped a little different and he has a different swim pattern. I have attached two pictures. They aren't great but there were the best I could get since he is super fast. He is the slowest to get use to me sitting around the pond.
Thanks!

escamosa
07-12-2012, 02:19 AM
I'm pretty sure that it's a Black Metallic Comet. I could be wrong, but it sure looks and sounds like one! :ssmile:

The reason for the slower swimming speed, and different swimming pattern, is because Comets are concidered to be a "fancy goldfish". They have longer, more flowing fins that make them a lot less agile. The plain orange fish in your picture is a common goldfish. See the difference in the two types of fins? The common goldfish has those short, sharp fins that give them that extra speed and agility. :ssmile: