PDA

View Full Version : sick betta

Tess
09-13-2007, 01:19 AM
:confused: I need some, I have just started getting into bettas. I think they are great. I started out with one 3 weeks ago, I am now the proud owner of three. My problem is my newest addition. I followed all the directions for the tank [its a small set up, 1 gallon with air pump and filter] used the proper water conditioners, let it set for a couple of days and then put in my fish. He was fine for the first 2 days. Yesterday I noticed he was acting strange, hanging out on the bottom of the tank, laying on the gravel. I thought he had died but he would get up and swim around then after awhile would go back and "lay" down again. Today as soon as I got in I checked on him, he doesn't look too good. I thing he has some type of fungus. HELP!!

Drumachine09
09-13-2007, 01:26 AM
It appears you have not cycled your tank. Check this link:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2678

In the mean time, do a very large waterchange fast. The ammonia that your fish is producing is not being eaten up by the nitryfing bacteria, killing him bit by bit.

zackish
09-13-2007, 01:28 AM
It appears you have not cycled your tank. Check this link:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2678

In the mean time, do a very large waterchange fast. The ammonia that your fish is producing is not being eaten up by the nitryfing bacteria, killing him bit by bit.

Drum, you think it's really that necessary to do a WC with a fish and setup such as the one he listed? Plus he has 2 other fish that are fine and if he didn't cycle those I am sure he didn't cycle this one.
Maybe it is just an unhealthy fish from the store?

MeganL3985
09-13-2007, 01:29 AM
First of all, check your water parameters and let us know what they are.
Another thing, if its sick, I would do an immediate water change. Clean water, conditioner and some salt. Clean water is the best thing to do first.

Some other info--
Some betta's actually do rest on the gravel, its just a period of how long they do which would make me question it. What type of spots are you seeing that make you believe there is fungus? I also thought mine had fungus, under its chin when I bought it. Sure enough I was right. Treated with Maracyn and it cleared up after a few days.
Some betta's are just sick when you buy them....it comes from bad water conditions, which are common when buying them from pet stores in the little bowls. Was the water blue in the cup when you bought it? If so, it may have already been sick, b/c the blue water is medicated.
If you are not sure that there is fungus or any other types of symptoms then I would not treat your fish.....just give a good water change with conditioners and salt. Also keep checking your water parameters.

Tess
09-13-2007, 01:29 AM
thanks for the advice! I will give it a try.

Drumachine09
09-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Drum, you think it's really that necessary to do a WC with a fish and setup such as the one he listed? Plus he has 2 other fish that are fine and if he didn't cycle those I am sure he didn't cycle this one.
Maybe it is just an unhealthy fish from the store?

The smaller the tank (its only 1 gallon) the faster the levels will turn toxic. And to top that, bettas are very sensitive to water conditions (IE: toxins in the water). The other tanks could have cycled on their own, this betta just could be taking it a bit harder than the others.

zackish
09-13-2007, 01:51 AM
You are right in technicality but anyone I know that had bettas were usually unexperienced and they just dropped it in a tank the day they got it and did water changes when it looked dirty. The fish were always fine.

Drumachine09
09-13-2007, 01:58 AM
You are right in technicality but anyone I know that had bettas were usually unexperienced and they just dropped it in a tank the day they got it and did water changes when it looked dirty. The fish were always fine.

General aquarium practice is not founded on personal anecdotes. Its hard facts. Bettas produce ammonia. Ammonia builds up. The built up Ammonia makes the betta sick. No story or anecdote can bypass those FACTS.

zackish
09-13-2007, 02:00 AM
yes but you ask 10 people that have bettas in small kits like at their desk in their workplace or whatever and I bet 8/10 then say they just dropped them in the bowl the first day and they have stayed there since....doing occasional water changes.

MeganL3985
09-13-2007, 02:12 AM
I have a 2.5 and I did not cycle the tank. I do no less than 2 weekly 50% water changes. When I first started out, I lost 3 different platy's in my 5 gallon from waiting to change the water after 4 days thinking I was okay. Some people may have tough fish, but Drum is right....fact is fact.
I would think we wouldn't want to give anyone ideas or promote the "fact" that some can get away with just dumping fish in tanks with infrequent water changes and some people coming out with fish who have tolerated it. Its just not good practice to tell people these things, especially without no prior knowledge of what the persons fish keeping "skills" are.

Drumachine09
09-13-2007, 02:13 AM
yes but you ask 10 people that have bettas in small kits like at their desk in their workplace or whatever and I bet 8/10 then say they just dropped them in the bowl the first day and they have stayed there since....doing occasional water changes.

I would love to see the full results of this survey. Do you have a link?

zackish
09-13-2007, 02:19 AM
There is no survey it's just like off the top of my head, people I know. Everyone has bettas.

Drumachine09
09-13-2007, 02:37 AM
There is no survey it's just like off the top of my head, people I know. Everyone has bettas.

Then using a bogus survey to support bogus facts doesnt really make a convincing argument, does it?

Nick_Pavlovski
09-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Regardless, I think those here at the forum try to advocate improving the way fish are kept.
People may have dropped them into tap water and may still do so - but we should be responsible and try to educate about cycling.

The fish may not look distressed - but it may be. We should practice what we preach.

MeganL3985
09-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Exactly what i think

SkarloeysMom
09-13-2007, 02:45 AM
If you have a betta in a 1g tank you will need to do at least weekly water changes of at least 50-75% because I'm pretty sure you cannot cycle a 1g tank that does not have a filter. If your fish has been in the same water for 3 weeks he needs clean water ASAP and if he still acts sick maybe its something else too but sickness is usually caused by stress which is usually caused by bad water conditions.

Good luck with your fish. I hope he'll be ok after a water change.

cocoa_pleco
09-13-2007, 03:57 AM

i actually did that, my betta got finrot from tailnipping, so i plopped him into a uncycled waterhome 2g kit (no other tank available) and he was fine, no cloudy water, he had barely any bio-load

Lady Hobbs
09-13-2007, 01:55 PM
1 gallon tanks get very toxic very fast. You need to do water changes on those tiny tanks very, very often. They're equivalent to a gold fish bowl. If you could transfer some of the gravel over from your other tanks and put it on top of the gravel in this smaller tank it might help.

But you need to be prepared in tiny tanks with no filter many, many water changes.

With no filter there is no where for the good bacteria to live so it has to be in the gravel. I'd personally put a plant in what you have and get something bigger that has a filter so you can cycle properly.