PDA

View Full Version : OMG my corys laid eggs!!

calla
09-12-2007, 09:22 PM
I came home from work today and look at the 20 gallon to find this!!

...I don't know what to do with all these babies... first swordtails, now corys!

cocoa_pleco
09-12-2007, 09:40 PM
lol, i raised albino eggs, theyre not too difficult to care for

tropfish
09-12-2007, 10:00 PM
cool! we need pics as soon as they hatch!

MeganL3985
09-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Wow, how cool! :)

Lady Hobbs
09-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I get some pretty fat tetra's on occassion but never find eggs anywhere. The featherfin would eat them anyway but some spawns I'd like to have. I'd love it if my corys spawned!!!!!!

zackish
09-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I get some pretty fat tetra's on occassion but never find eggs anywhere. The featherfin would eat them anyway but some spawns I'd like to have. I'd love it if my corys spawned!!!!!!

Right now I have one HUGE cardinal tetras but she has been like this for a while. Plus I heard cardinals are hard if not impossible to breed in captivity.

squirt_12
09-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Congrats on the eggs!!!!!! Hope you the best!!!

calla
09-13-2007, 12:53 AM
cool! we need pics as soon as they hatch!

I can't wait to take pictures! These little guys are going to be so cute :)

Anyone know how long till they hatch? I was reading 3 to 4 days..... that seems fast?

SkarloeysMom
09-13-2007, 02:50 AM
I came home from work today and look at the 20 gallon to find this!!

...I don't know what to do with all these babies... first swordtails, now corys!

WOW! That is too cool! Good luck with those little guys! Now I know what to look for. Can't wait to see the fry.

Drumachine09
09-13-2007, 03:08 AM
I once read a story about a guy who bought about 100 corys, had them in various setups/tanks in his basment, and tried and tried and tried to get them to spawn, but they just wouldnt spawn. Untill a MASSIVE rainstorm hit his area and flooded his basement, the corys escaped their enclosure, and spawned on his couch!

AquaQueen
09-13-2007, 03:13 AM
I once read a story about a guy who bought about 100 corys, had them in various setups/tanks in his basment, and tried and tried and tried to get them to spawn, but they just wouldnt spawn. Untill a MASSIVE rainstorm hit his area and flooded his basement, the corys escaped their enclosure, and spawned on his couch!

LMAO lil pigs did it on his couch eh? Too funny...I hope he punished them for their disrespectful behavior...hahaha!

Calla, Congrats on your findings, I hope all goes well with themthumbs2:

MeganL3985
09-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Lol Bonnie! :)

cocoa_pleco
09-13-2007, 03:46 AM
yep, 3-4 days. i had more than 50% of mine survive. they arent hard to take care for

calla
09-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Is it ok to leave the fry in with the parents/other corys? I'm hoping so cause at the moment I have nowhere else to put them......
So far I've counted about 70 eggs, found them in a few more places on the glass. They are going to be so cute :)

cocoa_pleco
09-13-2007, 11:27 PM
i would separate to be safe, but i think they may be okay with the parents

calla
09-15-2007, 09:21 PM
well... almost all the eggs have dropped off the glass now, but there aren't any fry? ... not quite sure the process.... don't know if they drop off then hatch.. or whats going on.

Dave66
09-15-2007, 09:37 PM
i would separate to be safe, but i think they may be okay with the parents

The parents don't bother the eggs nor the fry, CP.

Dave

Dave66
09-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Calla, the eggs are only partially adhesive; vigourous filtration can knock them off. As long as the eggs are clear amber, they are fertile and should hatch. If they are white, they are fungused and should be removed.

Dave

MeganL3985
09-15-2007, 10:15 PM
How and why do eggs get fungused?

Dave66
09-15-2007, 10:33 PM
When they are infertile or damaged, megan, fungus attacks them. With Cichlid parents, they pick out the fungused eggs.
Methylin blue will keep viable eggs from fungusing.

Dave

calla
09-16-2007, 04:16 PM
well... I'm assuming that they were infertile, since as of now there are still no fry. :( They were an amberish color though...but also looked white.. I don't know.

I'm going to vacuum the gravel and do a water change... get the eggs out of there...

calla
09-16-2007, 08:15 PM
well now I feel like the worst person ever..... I was vacuuming the gravel, and had already taken out 2 buckets of water when I decided to look closely at what was getting sucked up. In the tube I saw two tiny little fry trying to swim back out of it :( so I quickly stopped vacuuming and let them out of the tube. Then I searched the bucket I hadn't dumped yet for any more I might have gotten...... but didn't see any.

I'm really sad I may have killed so many of them :(

that'll teach me to assume things.

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Well thats ok...i have done that before. I think that almost everybody has done something like that. lol. Well how many fry can you see in the tank??? could you possibly get a pic of them? or are they too small?

calla
09-16-2007, 08:20 PM
that's the thing you can't see them. Like, at ALL. They are teeeeeeny tiny, and mostly clearish looking, with just a little bit of tanish brown color to them. And I only saw two myself, the ones in the tube :(

haven't seen them since I let them out though.....
as soon as I can get a picture of them I definitely will post it.

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 08:23 PM
ok well i would not do a water change for another week for sure to let the little guys grow some. And make sure that some food gets to the bottom....enough for the little guys and enough for the parents.

Hope you all the best.
squirt

calla
09-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I won't do a water change till I can see the little guys better, for sure! I feel bad enough as it is.....

and, the fry and the corys are the only inhabitants of the tank, so I feed them sinking pellets, algea wafers, things like that..... I'm sure they get enough to eat :) they've doubled in size since I got them!

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 10:28 PM
ooo....ok i didn;t know that they were the only ones in the tank. ok then they definatly should get enough food. Do your eat flakes??? because mine just love flakes. lol.

calla
09-16-2007, 10:40 PM
usually, I feed them twice a day... in the morning I give them the leftovers from what I feed my 55. I have frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and "emerald entree" (mostly greens), so if I feed the 55 gallon one of those, I drop the cube in for a minute or two, then net it out and put a little of it into the 20 gallon so it falls down for the corys. They love it! Within seconds they come out from the driftwood they ALWAYS hide in and scurry around looking for it...

If I am feeding the 55 gallon flakes, then I sprinkle a tiny bit in the 20g. But I've never noticed them really act to pleased with flakes actually.... today I put in a couple of floating granule pellet like things and the corys were swimming up and down the sides after them.. it was very cute.

.. then they get a wafer of some kind or seaweed/vegetable over night. :)

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 10:41 PM
yeah everything that you feed yours is also what i feed mine and they are very happy and just love them. lol.

How do u determine the sex of a cory????

calla
09-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not positive... but I think the femals get longer and wider than the males....

mine were all tiny when I got them, and I had no clue they would spawn in just a month!

squirt_12
09-16-2007, 11:09 PM
o hahahahaha. well in a way thats a good thing. lol. Now the only thing is that you will have to be ready to expect more. because if they have bred once then i can guarantee that they will probably breed again. But you can always sell them if you get too many. lol.

Congrats again. lol
:D

*Sarah*
09-17-2007, 01:36 AM
COngrats on the fry...I hope the ones you saved survive. I guess now you'll know for next time! :)

mitcore
09-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I can't wait to take pictures! These little guys are going to be so cute :)

Anyone know how long till they hatch? I was reading 3 to 4 days..... that seems fast?

I had my cory dory's lay eggs 3 times i have two females to one male
i was told not to touch the tank for 14 days
unfortunaly my bristle nose ate all the eggs

Lady Hobbs
09-17-2007, 01:31 PM
The only problem with bottom feeders. I know my tetra's and rasbaro's have spawned many times but never a fry to be seen. My loaches get the eggs in one tank and my featherfin in the other.

calla
09-20-2007, 12:20 AM
:( still no visible fry.... I don't know if any made it. I'm a horrible mom.

squirt_12
09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Well like you said before...you probably just can't see them. Don't get discouraged...and your NOT a bad mom. You never know....they could just be hiding. Like do you have like caves and lots of plants in your tank?????
If you do then they might just be hiding in them. Just be very carful when you are cleaning out the tank.
squirt

calla
09-20-2007, 12:26 AM
thanks for always making me feel better squirt ;p haha....

there are a lot of little, dark caves. a coconut, and a terra cot pot... plus lots of plants.

if they are in there, I hope they are eating...

squirt_12
09-20-2007, 12:35 AM
yeah well if you have all of that stuff in there then they probably just hiding and they are probably getting lots of food because you will have algaes in the tank that they can munch on and they might come out at night and search for food because they probably will feel safer coming out at night. So maybe they are hiding during the day. Hopefully they are still in there!!!!:c1:

SkarloeysMom
09-20-2007, 12:57 AM
well now I feel like the worst person ever..... I was vacuuming the gravel, and had already taken out 2 buckets of water when I decided to look closely at what was getting sucked up. In the tube I saw two tiny little fry trying to swim back out of it :( so I quickly stopped vacuuming and let them out of the tube. Then I searched the bucket I hadn't dumped yet for any more I might have gotten...... but didn't see any.

I'm really sad I may have killed so many of them :(

that'll teach me to assume things.

I accidently vacuumed up a whole bunch of zebra danio fry and the I don't know why I even looked but I did and saw all these black tiny tadpod things. I don't know how many times I didn't even look in the water and could have been dumping fry. It happens, don't feel too bad about it.