PDA

View Full Version : Frontosa with Malawi Community

Full3R
09-12-2007, 03:04 PM
I have a community of Malawi cichlids
Along with a Tanganyikan Juliodchromis dickfeldi
The other Fish are, 3 Red Empress, 4 Rostratus, 2 Electric yellows and 1 Cobalt blue Zebra Cichlid
Is it possible to keep a Frontosa in this setup or is it to risky or water conditions not right
Thanks

Fishguy2727
09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I would not mix Lake Malawi and Lake Tanganyika cichlids, pH and salt concentrations are different. I am not sure how aggressive frontosas are at different points in their life, but I doubt it would be smooth sailing mixing them with the others.

Algenco
09-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Alpha male Frontosa can grow to 14-16"

Full3R
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Rightio
thanx for that
Looks like ill have to add another tank if i wanna get Frontosas

CAF
10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Rightio
thanx for that
Looks like ill have to add another tank if i wanna get Frontosas

I've seen it done with juvie Frontosas.... but remember rule #1 of Fish

If it fits in my mouth it is food... Frontosas get BIG and Malawi's generally stay smaller based on which of the 600 species you are thinking of.

Probably a very good idea to get a different tank.

cichlidhound
10-25-2007, 06:19 PM
I currently have Mpimbwe Forntosa's (15) mixed with S. Fryeri and Aulo. Benga Yellow in my 180g tank. So far I haven't had any problems with this set-up (6 months). The Frontosa range in size from 4" to 6". I agree with previous posts that when the Frontosa reach a size where small female Malawi's will fit in their mouths I will have to move them out to a bigger tank to avoid "eating accidents". I keep Tanganyikan's and Malawi's together in several tank set-up's and don't have water chemistry issues. I try to keep a water chemistry of: 8.2ph, 12-15 KH, 20-25GH. This fits in the "middle" range for both lakes. I think this works well simply because my African's breed regularly (and with vigor!) and I rarely if ever have fish health concerns. I think another important fish keeping "rule" is not to tinker with the tank and water very much. Fish are very adapatable, especially with such large numbers being tank raised, that I believe keeping the fish in "consistent" water conditions is probably more important than worrying about matching the exact "real life" conditions of their wild ancestors. Jusy my two pennies....