PDA

View Full Version : caught this punk on my LR

cocoa_pleco
09-12-2007, 04:20 AM
dunno who this lil punk is, but he was on my new LR in the 20g high, about 6" long, and green like a caterpillar and 1" antennas. not a bristle worm, but he moved at a fairly slow pace. any ideas? heres some crappy pics, its in the middle of the pics

Dave66
09-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Hard to tell from the shots, CP, but looks like a kind of bristle worm; not all of 'em have visible bristles. I'd have to see it close up to be sure.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
09-12-2007, 04:30 AM
i wanted to get a pic of him while he was out, and could only fire up one of the lights (of COURSE the single bulb one) so its dim. figured he might not be a bristle but he may be one.

on another topic, how big to bristleworms get? i saw some 8" ones at a show 10g nanoreef at my LFS

Dave66
09-12-2007, 04:33 AM
i wanted to get a pic of him while he was out, and could only fire up one of the lights (of COURSE the single bulb one) so its dim. figured he might not be a bristle but he may be one.

on another topic, how big to bristleworms get? i saw some 8" ones at a show 10g nanoreef at my LFS

Depends CP, there are thousands of species. Some an inch or two, some up to two feet. Only two get in out tanks that eat corals. Give me a sec and I'll dig out the names. Got too many scientific names oozing out my ears.

Ok, got 'em. Hermodice caruncula and Eurythoe complana. Big fellows, better than a foot, and will sting like the devil if touched. They'll also eat all of your corals. Very fluffy. Google 'em for a pic.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
09-12-2007, 04:45 AM
those devils touch ones, i had a nice "contact" with one, i literally gouged half my finger to get the spines out. the ones at the LFS are with soft corals, and dark orange with black spines

Rue
09-12-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm guessing bristleworm too...the 'proper' name is polychaete...

Doesn't look like one of the bad guys...so enjoy having him around! :thumb: